Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken Data Connector.

807 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  kendallt 
#1 ·
I have a 2TB Seagate Barracuda that after the PC it was in quit working, sat in a closet and eventually fell and got damaged. The power connector is still good. I've plugged it in and felt the disc inside begin to spin. But, the part where the data cable connects is broke, and the cable can't clip on. I've thought about changing the board that both the power, and the data connector are on. Which I found on Ebay for $18.80. However I'd like a second opinion on this to see if it's even worth the attempt. Right now my biggest HDD is a 360GB, so I would love to have this drive working again, along with having a ton of old pictures and information on this HDD I want back.
The model# for the drive is ST2000DM001 . The only major setback I see from buying the part off Ebay is it's coming from China and will take forever, so if there is another site I can purchase it from, that'd be fantastic. Anyways, Here is a link to what I believe is the correct part for this model# drive.
100664987 REV B Seagate HDD PCB Circuit Board Hard Drive Logic Controller Board | eBay

#2 ·
Hello AlienVibes,
I'd say the best place for you to get a replacement part would be directly from
the Seagate® web site; however, if you cannot get the part directly, the one that
you have found on eBay® should do the trick.
Good Luck with it.
Kind Regards

#3 ·
I have tried in the past contacting Seagate, and because this was an OEM drive with an HP desktop, they can't do anything. It's down to HP on that part, and they wanted around $220 to send me a replacement drive. Which, I find ridiculous being that I can find a 2TB drive brand new for around $80.
Thank you, I'll defiantly try changing the part!

#4 ·
Each PCB contains unique, drive specific, calibration data (aka "adaptives") in an 8-pin serial flash memory chip (aka "ROM"). This chip, or its contents, MUST be transferred from patient to donor. Some PCB suppliers (eg hdd-parts.com) include a free ROM transfer service. Be aware that if you damage the ROM, data recovery will be extremely expensive, if not impossible.

#5 ·
Unless it has data on it that you need, I don't think I would mess with it unless the parts are very cheap.
If it fell hard enough to break something outside, the heads could have hit the platters.

I have a drive that only fell a foot, didn't break anything outside but now has bad sectors on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.