Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Boot order changing by itself

This is a discussion on Boot order changing by itself within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, My daughter's system has an MSI K8NGM2-FID motherboard, and she has 3 drives: WD 80GB PATA Samsung 250GB SATA

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

My daughter's system has an MSI K8NGM2-FID motherboard, and she has 3 drives:

WD 80GB PATA
Samsung 250GB SATA
Seagate 500GB SATA

She has WinXP SP2 installed on the 1st partition of the Samsung SATA drive, so we have the Samsung drive as the 1st in the boot order in the BIOS.

Occasionally, she cannot boot the system to WinXP, and what I've found is that the boot order in the BIOS has changed, apparently by itself, so that the WD 80GB PATA drive is 1st.

Changing the boot order so that the Samsung drive is 1st has been fixing the problem.

I saw the post here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f16/...in-102311.html

which sounds similar, but in her, the USB mouse is already plugged in when we set the BIOS boot order and save it, and yet, the boot order still occasionally changes.

Any ideas what might be going on?

For now, I moved the XP partition to the WD 80GB PATA drive, and changed the boot order to default, where the 80GB drive is 1st, to see if that at least "sticks"..

Jim

Old 11-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
Not...

Hi, welcome to TSF.

How old is the computer? Perhaps the CMOS battery has to be replaced.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi,

I built the system about a year ago, and I guess that we try a new CMOS battery, but we are not seeing a BIOS/CMOS checksum error when we get the problem with the boot order has changing, so it almost seems like something is purposely changing the boot order programmatically (and causing the CMOS checksum to be re-calc'ed), as opposed to the CMOS memory just getting randomly changed.

Jim
Old 11-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
Not...

I agree. If it was a bad battery the date/time would be wrong and a checksum error appear.
It sounds like "something" changes the settings back to Default.
Any other changes? Try, for example, to disable the floppy drive. If the BIOS settings changes back to default it would get enabled again.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:16 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneles View Post
I agree. If it was a bad battery the date/time would be wrong and a checksum error appear.
It sounds like "something" changes the settings back to Default.
Any other changes? Try, for example, to disable the floppy drive. If the BIOS settings changes back to default it would get enabled again.
Hi,

That's an interesting suggestion, because there is not floppy drive installed in the machine, but I think that I have to main boot order set to floppy, CDROM, then hard drive.

I'll try changing the boot order to just CDROM then hard drive, and see if it sticks. As you suggest, I'll check the hard drive order also after that, and then save things, and see if the settings stick for awhile.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
Not...

Disable the floppy controller (if you haven't done that already).
Old 11-17-2007, 06:31 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

the problem you are having is a very common one when a system has Pata drives and sata drives

computers love IDE like a calf loves its moma

the computer bios wants to boot from the IDE as first love / any time the bios stumbles or gets confused its naturally going to run to momma

I would try a bios update and also try a PS/2 connected mouse instead of the USB connected one >>>>>

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ml#post2598903
Old 11-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #8
Registered Member

eneles,

I've removed the floppy from the boot order in the BIOS. Is that what you were referring to, or are you suggesting completely disabling the floppy controller. I'm not sure if that is an option with this BIOS, but I'll check.

Jim
Old 11-17-2007, 06:44 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linderman View Post
the problem you are having is a very common one when a system has Pata drives and sata drives

computers love IDE like a calf loves its moma

the computer bios wants to boot from the IDE as first love / any time the bios stumbles or gets confused its naturally going to run to momma

I would try a bios update and also try a PS/2 connected mouse instead of the USB connected one >>>>>

linderman,

We've already updated the BIOS to the latest, V3.70.

She doesn't have a PS2 mouse, so we're going to try to have to see if we can resolve this problem with the USB mouse she has.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Jim
Old 11-20-2007, 02:52 AM   #10
Not...

Any progress?
Old 05-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneles View Post
Any progress?
I've been having this same problem with someone's machine. A PATA and SATA drive.. there is seemingly absolutely no solution short of removing the PATA drive or SATA drive (so there's no mixture).
Old 05-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what
cpu
video card
power supply
brand
wattage