Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Boot device not found - Primary Hard Drive issues

This is a discussion on Boot device not found - Primary Hard Drive issues within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all, I am brand new to this forum, and I was hoping to get some help with a problem

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello all,

I am brand new to this forum, and I was hoping to get some help with a problem I am having.

First off I have a HP HDX 18 laptop, and I've had it for a few years. For a while now one of my hard drives has been clicking, and like an idiot I put it off as my laptop seemed to be acting fine despite the clicks. Then a month or so ago I was downloading the new Service Pack, I believe, and I experienced a fatal error while installing. I ended up having to reinstall my OS, and ever since my laptop has been giving me trouble. Every once and a while it would lock up and go to a blue screen of death, and in some cases would need to be restored.

Last night I was working on a large Photoshop document and that must have been the straw that broke the camel's back. This morning when I booted up within a few moments of starting up it blue screened again, and when it restarted it told me the boot device was not found. I restarted, and windows started normally, only to blue screen again after a few moments, and the "No Boot Device, reboot, blue screen" happened again.

I have already run a Bios self test on my primary hard drive and after making no progress for a few minutes it flat out says it needs to be replaced. I am currently running the self test on the second hard drive where I keep all my personal files and it seems to be fine so far.

Essentially I am asking what I should do next. Is this as simple as replacing the hard drive, or am I going to have to "send it in"? Is there anyway to save the files on either of my hard drives?

The hard drive in question is a 1TB 7200RPM SATA DualHardDrive

Thanks for looking,

Hayes

Old 03-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

You can simply replace it yourself. Remove the faulty HDD, install the replacement, boot, partition, format and reinstall Win7.

Google is your Friend!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
You can simply replace it yourself. Remove the faulty HDD, install the replacement, boot, partition, format and reinstall Win7.
Thanks for the reply, simple but effective. This is what I am going to end up doing, thank you.

Another question though. I realize I should just open up my laptop and see whats there, but since my hard drive is a dual hard drive, am I going to be able to save the second hard drive? Are they going to be separate, or "all in one"?

Please forgive my naivety on all this.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

All HDD's are "single" drives. With that said, you need to determine if you have two physical HDD's, or if you have single drive with two (or more) partitions.

In any case, installation would be the same. If you only have a single HDD with multiple partitions, you will simply need an external enclosure or USB adapter to get your data from the drive.

Google is your Friend!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

It may have been 2 500 GB in a RAID0 configuration. 2 1TB in a laptop 'a few years ago' would have been pretty unusual. I would guess it was raid0 from the factory. If so then your data is lost. It may be recoverable by pro recovery, but is going to be expensive.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:49 AM   #6
Registered Member

You may be able to take it to a shop and sometimes they may have forensic software that can recreate any files if the drive is completely dead. Can you start it up and still hear the disc in the HDD spinning?
Old 03-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies all. Luckily I've been pretty good about backing up my files, so if all my data is gone I wont be too bad off. I'll still try getting the data off of it some how though, wont hurt to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
All HDD's are "single" drives. With that said, you need to determine if you have two physical HDD's, or if you have single drive with two (or more) partitions.

In any case, installation would be the same. If you only have a single HDD with multiple partitions, you will simply need an external enclosure or USB adapter to get your data from the drive.
Thank you for that, I understand a lot better now. It sounds like my best bet now would be to just install a new HDD, and try getting the data off of it with an external enclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_pa View Post
It may have been 2 500 GB in a RAID0 configuration. 2 1TB in a laptop 'a few years ago' would have been pretty unusual. I would guess it was raid0 from the factory. If so then your data is lost. It may be recoverable by pro recovery, but is going to be expensive.
That sounds like my set up. That's a bummer to hear! I'll have to pass on the pro recovery, my stuff isn't that valuable, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staplestechjf View Post
You may be able to take it to a shop and sometimes they may have forensic software that can recreate any files if the drive is completely dead. Can you start it up and still hear the disc in the HDD spinning?
Yes its still spinning, and windows still starts, but only briefly before crashing. That gives me hope that I might be able to get my files off of it, but if not it wont be the end of the world.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
Registered Member

You might try hooking it up to an external HDD unit that u can connect to a working pc through USB or FireWire. There will be admin restrictions on it but you can change those settings in the security section of the properties.