Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Bios won't recognize Hard Drive...

This is a discussion on Bios won't recognize Hard Drive... within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When the bios does not recognize a hard drive, does that mean the hard drive is completely dead? Here is

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 11:39 AM   #1
Registered Member

When the bios does not recognize a hard drive, does that mean the hard drive is completely dead?

Here is the long story:
My new computer died (later turned out to be a video card issue) and I was trying to determine what was the problem. I decided to check to see if the new hard drive would be recognized in the old computer.
However the old computer (Dell XPS) was using all the IDE controls. 1 cable had the HDD and a Zip drive, the other had a CD drive and a CDR drive. So I decided to disconnect the Zip drive.
However this caused some issues because the Zip was configured as the master and the HDD as the slave - after a bit of jumper resetting I finally got the HDD to be recognized by itself. At this point the HDD was out of the (computer) case. I had to disconnect the cables to put it back in the bay. I put it back in and reconnected, then suddenly the HDD stopped being recognized by the BIOS.

Since that time I have tried virturally every jumper setting on the HDD to get it recognized. I swapped out IDE cables from the new computer (which now works again) and tried them in the old. I put the new HDD in the old computer using the old cables and it is recognized. I tried putting the Zip drive back on the IDE controller as both master and then slave (and changing the old HDD jumpers as well). I tried putting the old drive in the new computer as slave and cable select on the same IDE as the new HDD (master). I tried making the old HDD as the only item on the IDE controller in both computers with all variations of jumper settings, on both the master and slave connections. I tried the old HDD on the IDE with the DVD drive in the new computer. Nothing works.

When I put the old HDD on an IDE controller with something else, then NEITHER of the items are recognized by the bios.

So my question is - which I can't find the answer to anywhere - is if the HDD is dead, is this what would happen? Is it usual for a HDD to go from working fine to not even being recognized anymore that fast? When the HDD is on the controller and not being recognized, it does still start to get warm (just a bit) so I am guessing there is power going there.

Everywhere I look says run diagnostics on the HDD. But if it is not being recognized - is this possible?

I have the BIOS on Auto detect. Should I try to configured it manually (not sure I know the specs but I guess I could look them up).

Is my HDD completely dead now? I have some files on there that I wouldn't mind saving - reason I am trying so hard to rescue this before giving up completely.

Thanks for all help.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:27 PM   #2
mark3567

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Not sure I got everything you said, but if set up properly, here is what it should be:

Old Computer:

IDE #1 - ........................Zip Drive................Old Hard Drive
blue Connector..............Gray Connector...........Black Connector
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,,Set as Slave...............Set as Master

IDE #2 - ........................DVD Drive...................CDRom
blue Connector..............Gray Connector...........Black Connector
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,,Set as Slave...............Set as Master

Just be sure you are using the 80 connector cables where any hard drive is present, otherwise you are going to have problems. Also, make sure you have the master/slave jumper setting on all drive and also the drives must be on the ribbon cables as noted.

So, First of all, try this setup and see where we are after that.

Old 03-23-2005, 05:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

ok - I was in the process of putting everything back in the set up as you have described above.

I noticed a pin in the HDD was askew, so I went to straighten, and it fell out - well broke in half.

Am I totally hosed now? Maybe this pin has been broken this whole time and that is what has been wrong ?
Old 03-23-2005, 05:16 PM   #4
mark3567

Hi,

It is quite possible that was the total problem all along. If you can find a way (assuming the pin is still partially in there) to make sure that pin makes contact when you plug in, then it should work, but if not..................?????

If there was a way to put a small piece of wire (even a straight pin maybe) in the pin part that is still remaining on the drive and then soldering that on and then putting the part that is broken off back on, I would try it. I don't know your skill in this area, so don't know if you would be able to do that, but what can you lose.

Old 03-23-2005, 06:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

I tried with a straight pin and no luck - and the pin next to it fell out as well.
I am guessing this has been the problem all along.

The funny thing is now the zip drive isn't even recognized while it is alone.

I guess I am still wondering though, if the drive is bad, why does it make the rest of the drives on the same IDE not recognizable either?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:28 PM   #6
mark3567

Hi,

Want another long shot. Take a soldering iron and solder wires from the drive to the power plug. Buy an extension so it won't be permanent damage to your power plug. One of those little Y connectors will work. Then directly connect those wires and away it should go. That temporary fix will help you to get your information from the drive.

Oh, if you want the zip to work.

Change the jumpers to master settings.

Place it on the end of the ribbon cable.

The only problem is that you must have an OS on the computer for it to recognize that zip drive although it might be recognied in the BIOS......and I would guess you don't nave an OS from what you have said.

Old 03-24-2005, 07:49 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3567
Oh, if you want the zip to work.
Change the jumpers to master settings.
Place it on the end of the ribbon cable.
yes did this and not recognized in the bios.

I am not sure I understand what you mean about soldering y connectors... - not that I have a soldering iron anyway. But if I did...I still have the broken pins - do you solder them back onto the drive or... ?

Thanks for all your help
Old 03-24-2005, 04:53 PM   #8
mark3567

Hi,

I think that if you want to do this to retreive your data, I would get some pliable wire (all four of the prongs) and solder the wires on the drive prongs that are either there or left. Then take around each to make sure you don't get a contact (just one small wrap around), then take those four wires and match it up with a wire extension that you can plug into your power supply 3 pronged female connector. Take the extension and cut the end plug off and match the four wires from your hard drive to those....aha, you have a connection. That should work if your problem was the broken prong. Oh, I am told there is some solder out there now that does not require a soldering iron. Might give it a look.

Old 03-25-2005, 07:32 AM   #9
Registered Member

well it's not the power supply that is broken but the IDE connector...

Well maybe this is just too complicated for me :)
I was going to order a same HDD and change the circuit boards out but don't even want to drop $40 on that.

It's not THAT important data, just some stuff that would be nice to have.