Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

BIOS Will Not Recognize Hardrive

This is a discussion on BIOS Will Not Recognize Hardrive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My Toshiba Satellite laptop's hard drive crashed and i installed a new Western D. for this computer and the BIOS

Old 06-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

My Toshiba Satellite laptop's hard drive crashed and i installed a new Western D. for this computer and the BIOS will not recognize the new hard drive.
the new hard drive is good. what do i need to do??

Old 06-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

What is the model # of your Toshiba Satellite?
Boot into Setup (Bios) and go to SATA or HDD mode and change the mode of the HDD from AHCI to IDE or Compatibility Mode.

spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

It is an L655D model, how do you get to the SATA or HDD mode once i get in the BIOS.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Every Bios is different, so I can't tell you exactly. Look for HDD mode, SATA or Peripherals or anything to do with the HDD.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Registered Member

your not talking about the boot utility are you? there is a HDD there but i belive only for which sequence you want to boot, HDD, CD, ect

it is an InsydeH20 setup utility Rev 3.5
Old 06-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

It would be easier if you took pictures of the various Bios options. But you are talking about Boot Priority,where you can choose which drive to boot from. There should be another area, it could be called RAID, HDD mode, SATA or something else. By default, the mode is set for AHCI, but may be able to be changed to IDE.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
Registered Member

I called toshiba and i was told by them there is not way to go in to the bios and change a HDD/SATA settings - No HDD mode.

does this western digital hard drive have to be formatted??
Old 06-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The drive does not need to be formatted for the Bios to recognize it. Make sure the SATA drive is plugged into the correct SATA port on the motherboard (Disk 0) and the drive is plugged into is Enabled in the Bios.
Try the drive on another computer plugging it internally or using a USB Adapter or put it in a USB Enclosure
Old 06-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
Registered Member

i tried it on another laptop, which is almost the same one and it sees it on that computer