Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Bios not seeing HD

This is a discussion on Bios not seeing HD within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My dads Compaq Presario will only bootup 1 out of a million times! If I go into the bios it

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

My dads Compaq Presario will only bootup 1 out of a million times! If I go into the bios it will show the DVD rom but not the HD. If I go into auto detect feature it will immediately see the HD. After saving in exiting the computer will do the same thing. It will not get passed the Compaq logo, upon rebooting and going back into the bios the HD is missing again. Again anytime I go into the autodetect feature it will recognized it. What could be causing this?

Thanks.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:36 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

is it ide or sata

try a new data cable

Old 02-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
Registered Member

IDE and tried swapping the cable with DVD rom with same results in the end
Old 02-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Registered Member

If I replace the hardrive, how or can I get the windows program off the original hard drive since Compaq doest give you a disk?
Old 02-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

the drive maker usually has a utility on their site for this purpose you can download

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can not start Acer aspire 5315 after Bios reset
I was downloading Drivers for a Acer Aspire 5315 in vista and clicked on bios *.exe file and it did not do anything all night, so the next morning i unplugged the power and Battery since noth else would work, like buttons and mouse. Since then i can not start the Laptop. i tried the reset option...
mahindra Motherboards, Bios & CPU 7 01-17-2012 02:57 PM
Lag in Dragon Age: Origins
I have Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition for the PC. My PC surpasses the minimum requirements for the game and it runs really well for about an hour until it begins to get really sluggish. Around this point the loading times will increase and the frame rate will drop. What would cause that? ...
AndyJP PC Gaming Support 9 01-30-2011 07:47 AM
Where I can get updates for bios and motherboard ?
Where I can get updates for bios and motherboard ? For BIOS System Bios Version : Nvidia - 42302e31 System Bios Date : 02/23/06 Manufacturer : Phoenix Technologies, LTD SMBIOS Version : 6.00 PG
zhong Motherboards, Bios & CPU 6 01-20-2011 04:06 PM
At my wits end with fan noise - BIOS question
My old (5 years) HP is excessively noisy (I clean it out regularly - it's not that). It was getting on my nerves today and I tried once again to figure out what, precisely, is going on. Got some weird results. I installed speedfan, which showed me that 1 fan was running at 4400 RPM, and...
clashradio Motherboards, Bios & CPU 1 01-12-2011 06:13 PM
Need major help with bios -- freezing/restarting problem
Hi, I built a computer in January of 2010 as a senior project for graduation out of high school. It is now January of 2011 and I haven't gotten very far with it. I built the PC a year ago and I had this problem where it would randomly lock/freeze up and not move or respond in anyway whatsoever. I...
pburt68 Motherboards, Bios & CPU 114 01-09-2011 04:23 AM