Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

begging for assistance with a stand alone sata.

This is a discussion on begging for assistance with a stand alone sata. within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello I have an abit av8 mobo with one IDE HD and a sata. I have winxp with sp2 on

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello I have an abit av8 mobo with one IDE HD and a sata. I have winxp with sp2 on the IDE HD. I use to use my sata drive as storage until one night when I turned my computer off for the first time in a couple days. I rebooted and it wasen't appearing in device manager or disk manage. It is formatted, it does spin, it is not seen by the bios either. I have had this problem in the past getting my computer to see the drive. My powersupply has always powered this drive fine it is 450ws i think. I am completely baffled by this. My bios is a pheonix award bios v6.00p6
There is a screen that is hard to catch during boot up after the post screen that talks about my sata raid rom. This says no devices are attached. I don't know how to access my sata raid rom. But I have it disabled in the bios because I have successful in getting windows to see the driver before. I have the IDE prefetch mode disabled too. I have installed all the latest drivers from via. My chipset is the VIA K8T800 Pro/VT8237. I have installed the latest 4in1 drivers and sata controllers. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers several times to try to get the computer to see it and tried older versions. I cannot get the computer to recognize the driver. I have tried the sata1 and 2 slots no difference.
Please remember I have an winxp on an old 30gig IDE that works fine. And I am just trying to get my stand alone sata storage drive back up and running. It has all my saved information on it.

please assist me in my efforts I have yet to find answer to this. Thanks
Olow

Old 05-06-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

In bios, can you set the SATA to emulate IDE? If so, do it. Just maybe...you might have to reinstall MOBO drivers because I think the SATA drivers are on the MOBO disk.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

I do not have sata emulation just two options that I can find that relate to sata. Bootable addin devices sata raid, and enable sata raid rom. both settings I have played with an nothing has happened.
What do you mean by mobo drivers? Cause I have repeatedly installed the sata driver from via technologies. I have tried various versions as well.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

sata cables have a habit of working loose check it is securely attached to the drive and the m/b
Old 05-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai View Post
sata cables have a habit of working loose check it is securely attached to the drive and the m/b
10-4 !!!

That was going to be my post....almost word for word.
I've had that same problem way too many times already.

SATA data cables do not lock onto the drives. They just push on and fall off!

I've taken to securing all my data cables to my SATA drives with a strip of HOT GLUE. End of problem.
The data cables, for some weird reason, DO stay on at the motherboard end much better.
The little sockets on the mobo seem to hang onto the cables, pretty well.

But, if I were building a PC to ship across the country, I'd HOT GLUE the cable to the motherboard too.

Cheers mates!
The Shadow
Old 05-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
Registered Member

I will try that but I am pretty sure it is not the solution. Does IRQs play a roll in the sata controller? Could the sata controller be conflicting with another controller irq?
Old 05-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
Registered Member

still no luck any other suggestions?
Old 05-09-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

recheck the bios for a wrong setting