Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Bad drive assumed after talk with techs --

This is a discussion on Bad drive assumed after talk with techs -- within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I'm dori. I have searched a bit for this but haven't seen the exact thing. We have two computers,

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I'm dori. I have searched a bit for this but haven't seen the exact thing.

We have two computers, both XP. Our other computer, about 2 months ago, had a problem where when we turned it on it just had a flashing yellow light and won't start up or boot at all. It's a Dell Dimension 5150. bought in April 06.

After researching a bit we thought it was the power supply. We ordered one and installed it - once we plugged the hard drive into it it was the same thing - flashing yellow light. So we thought maybe we'd still have a warranty on the hard drive.

Today I called Seagate and found out there is no warranty. There is also no longer a warranty with Dell. After talking with Seagate for a long time they determined that the hard drive must be bad due to it causing flashing yellow light on both of the computers (mine is a Dell Dimension 4700, older, yet still working), bought in August 05.

I would like to get the info off the hard drive -there were quiet a few large items we weren't able to back up to Mozy due to not enough space, so my daughter lost all her homemade videos, etc.

I have another hard drive from an old 2000 or 99 Dell - it's a 20 GB Western Digital. I don't know the names of everything but it has a belt drive hookup and another 7 pin set of holes plus the 4 pin set of holes. I think it's called an IDE drive where the new ones are called sata or something like that.

Is there an adaptor to enable you to connect the IDE drive to the Dell Dimension 5150? I have Windows ME on that hard drive so perhaps I could run the computer with that until we can do better.

I also, in another matter, may purchase a $200 computer from Walmart that runs linux. I am trying out linux on a CD first to see if we can handle it or like it. Perhaps we could load that on the Dimension 5150 but I don't know how that works with networking, ethernet, DSL, printer sharing, etc. I'm just so unfamiliar with it.

But probably my most urgent question is whether I can get that old hard drive to work?

TIA!

dori

Old 12-28-2007, 11:22 PM   #2
Enthusiast

The IDe drive has ME on it therefore it won't be able to see your XP drive.
You will have to install Xp on it to see the Sata and then you can offload any files.( Providing the Sata isn't dead)

Old 12-29-2007, 06:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you --

can you install XP on a 20 gb drive that already has me on it?? Would there be enough room?

And do you know the name of the cable or connector I would need to adapt to that drive?
Old 12-29-2007, 07:06 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

What is on your IDE ports (either primary or secondary) at this time? I assume you have at least a cdrom on them, but we need to know exactly For example, a hard drive, a cdrom, etc? What, where? Also, does your computer have a Sata drive on it, or does your old one have an IDE drive in it? That would help to see if there are any options we might try. When you say, flashing Yellow, what light are you talking about?
Old 12-30-2007, 03:20 AM   #5
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscollrj View Post
Thank you --

can you install XP on a 20 gb drive that already has me on it?? Would there be enough room?

And do you know the name of the cable or connector I would need to adapt to that drive?
Yes you can install Xp onto the 20 gig drive. The 20 gig connects to the Motherboard via a flat ribbon type cable(usually grey in colour with a black connector at one end and a blue at the other with a grey connector in the middle). It is very likely your Cd or dvd drive has such a cable.
May I say and please don't think I am patronising you, but I feel taking your limited knowledge re computers , would you not be better off going to a Tech shop and getting them to do all this?
Any tech could do all this in probably an hour.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:16 AM   #6
Registered Member

No offense taken

We just try and jump in (by the seat of our pants) and do these things as we have very limited funds. Usually we don't make too big of a mess but it takes some mistakes along the way --

We've installed RAM, modems, CD layers, DVD players, a power supply, TOOK a power supply off or away (can't remember now) to clean off a fan's glue and put new on, replaced network ports, fixed printer port.

But when you get to hard drives and mother boards - we haven't done that yet and it makes me

My son is "at" me - I'll finish my response later -- thanks!
Old 12-30-2007, 06:22 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed36 View Post
What is on your IDE ports (either primary or secondary) at this time? I assume you have at least a cdrom on them, but we need to know exactly For example, a hard drive, a cdrom, etc? What, where? Also, does your computer have a Sata drive on it, or does your old one have an IDE drive in it? That would help to see if there are any options we might try. When you say, flashing Yellow, what light are you talking about?
Okay. The computer I'm talking about trying to get the hard drive in is an 06 from Dell (5150) so I assume it has the SATA connections. We have two DVD players, one is a rewritable. I'll have to look in the machine again but I think it has the belt connectors I don't know what those are called. They attach I believe that the power supply but I really will have to look at it again (and will later). It also has a floppy drive.

The light that was flashing was in the power on switch. This computer had this happen before but it was still under warranty, and a tech came out and discovered that a piece of my daughter's tablet USB cord had broken off wand was stuck in the USB port. That was an easy fix. But this is different, and seems to be caused by the hard drive itself.

We are honestly starting to think maybe we should just buy a new hard drive - that the trouble of trying to put XP on this old drive (which is from a Dell Dimension from 2000) and getting adapters may not be worth it. We may just try and get another 250 gb internal and connect that, as it should be seamless (we hope).

Now, is there any way to pull data off this original hard drive from our 06 Dimension without paying an arm and a leg to someone???
Old 12-30-2007, 08:43 AM   #8
Enthusiast

Ok if you are willing to buy a new Sata great! When you install it, I would suggest you pull the power connector from the original Sata. (less confusion) Insert the new Sata and then power up. Watch the screen and press whichever button it tells you so as to get into the Bios. Then check to see that the Bios has found the new Sata. back out then look for EXIT and SAVE, select that and let it reboot. Insert your XP disk and do a normal Xp setup.
If you have never done a setup , it's not hard just follow the screen prompts, read carefully all questions and you should be OK. If all goes well go back and hook up the older Sata. Reboot. If you boot into the NEW Sata then it should see the old one and then you should be able to offload your programmes. If it boots into the old Sata just reboot go back into the Bios and go through the selections till you find DISK PRIORITY , move the cursor onto the new Sata(the one that isn't selected) and select it, back out and exit and save. Good Luck.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscollrj View Post
Okay. The computer I'm talking about trying to get the hard drive in is an 06 from Dell (5150) so I assume it has the SATA connections.

You may be jumping the gun by assuming it is a Sata drive. I may very well be an IDE drive.

We have two DVD players, one is a rewritable. I'll have to look in the machine again but I think it has the belt connectors

Go ahead and look and while in there, see exactly what drives are on which IDE connection (primary or secondary). This is the time to see if the Hard Drive is Sata or Pata. (Sata cables are smaller than those that you have on your CD/DVD type drives as a general rule)

I don't know what those are called. They attach I believe that the power supply but I really will have to look at it again (and will later). It also has a floppy drive.

The light that was flashing was in the power on switch. This computer had this happen before but it was still under warranty, and a tech came out and discovered that a piece of my daughter's tablet USB cord had broken off wand was stuck in the USB port. That was an easy fix. But this is different, and seems to be caused by the hard drive itself.

We are honestly starting to think maybe we should just buy a new hard drive - that the trouble of trying to put XP on this old drive (which is from a Dell Dimension from 2000) and getting adapters may not be worth it. We may just try and get another 250 gb internal and connect that, as it should be seamless (we hope).

Assuming that is your problem, it might be easier. However, there is no guarantee at this time that would solve the problem. You have to decide what direction you want to go with this one. If that is not the problem, then you may get the same with a new Sata.

Now, is there any way to pull data off this original hard drive from our 06 Dimension without paying an arm and a leg to someone???
Old 01-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
Registered Member

Thank you --

I have been searching for a price comparison and GB comparison for hard drives for Dell Dimension 5150. Is there a good site for that? Is there a site to go to and put in the product code from Dell and have a list of options come up?

I keep running across a lot of links from Dell itself and then it branches out into other types of computers and I don't want to buy the wrong kind. I would really like something about 250 GB and about $50 - if that exists….
Old 01-01-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

Looking at specs is a little foggy on this computer you have. It doesn't say, so I suspect that it is an IDE hard drive and not sata. It doesn't even say what motherboard is in there or if it is Sata capable. What I suggest, is that if you are going to have to change the hard drive anyhow,that you open the case and see if it is Sata or IDE. (If the ribbon cable is the same size as on your CDRom, then it is Pata, or IDE.

If IDE, then most any of the major brand drives will do for you. I like the Western Digital, Maxtor, or Seagate. A lot of people don't like the Maxtor, but that is a personal preference. There are some great deals around right now, so when you find out what is in there (make your job easier and replace it with a similar type drive), maybe one of us (you or I) can spot a deal. NewEgg or ZipZoomFly usually has great deals on the IDE drives.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:49 AM   #12
Registered Member

Thank you all for your help.

We have some updates and changes!

Okay, first of all, we don't have the money now for a new hard drive so have to put that on hold for a bit. We DID, however, get (after research and help from some buddies) info on this program called GOS for Linux and we are running the Dimension 5150 off that "Live CD." This allows my daughter to get on and get some things done on her own machine which is a big big help!! We also hope to put this program on another computer (one of the 486/Pentiums we have downstairs that do have approximately 6-10 gb hard drives in them - we hope that's big enough...)

We'd still like to get a hard drive in the Dell Dimension 5150, however, and I'm still hoping to use the hard drive from the old Dell. I have pictures below with descriptive tags.

If these pictures help at all with determining if we can use the Western Digital 20. gb hard drive please let me know... or if you need other info.

Also, if you can let me know if any deals for a 250 GB hard drive for the Dell Dimension 5150 that would be great, also.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:45 PM   #13
Registered Member

I thank you again for all the info.

I'm starting to feel like Marlin in Finding Nemo though where no one can tell me what I really need to know. HOW do I connect this old hard drive to the Dell Dimension, or is it simply impossible? I'm getting SO frustrated. I can't find anything online to answer my question. I tried again tonight to get it connected. The ribbon cord is too wide for anything in my case. I thought I could connect it where the floppy is connected but that's too narrow. Is there an adapter that I can put in the plug for the hard drive that I can plug the ribbon connector into?

I feel like I'm on a wild goose chase with this hard drive - especially since our money's evaporated and no more is coming anytime soon.

Maybe I just have to live with her computer not having a hard drive...