Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Alienware Area 51 M7700 Hard Drive Issues

This is a discussion on Alienware Area 51 M7700 Hard Drive Issues within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The system is not detecting the attached hards. I have replace the cable and I get the same problem no

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

The system is not detecting the attached hards. I have replace the cable and I get the same problem no hard attached. I also replace the hard drive and the same response. Would someone please give me some possible fixes for my hard drive issue.

Thanks
Robert

Old 08-07-2007, 05:08 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

We need more information.

What kind of hard drive (Sata or IDE)?

What brand name?

Which IDE or Sata connection is it hooked to?

If IDE how is it jumpered?

If IDE, where is it placed on the ribbon cable?

If IDE, what else is on that ribbon cable?

We also would be better able to help if we had specs like the motherboard make and model.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
Registered Member

What kind of hard drive (Sata or IDE)? its IDE

What brand name? Samsung

Which IDE or Sata connection is it hooked to? IDE it has for two disk

If IDE how is it jumpered? Master

If IDE, where is it placed on the ribbon cable?it has for two disk ,on eiter connection i get the same responce

If IDE, what else is on that ribbon cable?nothing

We also would be better able to help if we had specs like the motherboard make and model. Clevo D900T Laptop Motherboard
Old 01-08-2010, 02:09 AM   #4
Registered Member

hey guys.. looks like this guy has the same problem i am having... same laptop.. alienware m7700, running a western digital scorpio blue wd5000BEVT phoenix bios V146 1.00.12. i have the fasttrak 378 (tm) driver for the HDD when i go to install windows 7, vista 32 bit, and xp.. NONE will see the drive during install.. but you can see the drive when the alienware fires up (in the bios).. was working before and had 2 seagate drives in raid 0.. two 100 gig drives.. one fried.. just now got a new drive but this time im doing a install with a single WD 500 gig... its got a "promise" driver.. something like that, buddy who helped me build this alienware told me it automatically detects if you need raid mode or sata.. but i have switched to both in the bios and tried installing and again no luck.. the wd drive is SATA..no jumper setting.. its all open on the drive.. the drive is attached to the mobo via a ribbon cable..which splits in a "Y" the hdd sits on the lower level of the alienware inside and connects to that sata ribbon cable as it normally would in that position.. if that makes a difference.. the card reader on the side i have disconnected from the mobo and disabled it as well in the bios.. still no luck detecting the drive.. the MOBO is a d900t (was normally a SAGER mobo just put inside a alienware shell) the alienware is brand new.. been sitting for over a year now and just now got it fixed..got a lotta nice goddies in it.. hower its just a really nice ancor at this point unless some of your guys help.. this is a common problem i see it all over the net with the alienware m7700's as well as this guy right above me.. he sounds like he is in the same exact boat as me... oh also the original seagate drive that didnt fry.. i tried hooking it up and having it recognise that drive.. again it detects it like the WD but during install you cant see it to install to just like the WD.. any and all help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.... i really hope someone out there has a idea on what to do cus after a week of searching and problem solving im out of ideas.. my skill lever is "average" when it comes to this.. so i can do a bit but im not a major techie.. thanks again for your help..
Old 01-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

Just wondering if you ever solved this problem. Did you ever get it ti recognize the hard drives?
Old 01-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Registered Member

I think this is a power problem.
I suggest you this blog about hard drives problems.
Good luck
Old 01-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomann7 View Post
Just wondering if you ever solved this problem. Did you ever get it ti recognize the hard drives?
Hey I conquered this one yesterday.

Ok first lets understand the issue.
Windows XP and or 7 does not include a driver for the SATA RAID
on the M7700.

The normal method (pressing F6 to install a third party driver) does not work, unless you are lucky enough to have the specific USB floppy drive
that came with the laptop. (I didn't).

The answer to the problem is to download the appropriate driver (there is one for RAID and one for Non-RAID, this depends on the setting in the BIOS) and "slipstream" it into your XP or 7 installation disk.

There is a very easy and free tool called nlite to do this. It also allows you to create an istallation with your key and all of your settings taken care of (unattended). Even softare applications can sutomatically be installed if you want to go that far.

Now when you run the installer, if you did all this right. you will see your drive(s) and be able to install to them.

Now, can somebody tell me how to configure the master/slave setup for this? I used the standard jumper settings and I cant get two drives to coexist. Either one is ok by itself. But the raid controller sees niether if i try to install two.