Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

After New Hdd Install, Computer Does Nothing Without Freezing

This is a discussion on After New Hdd Install, Computer Does Nothing Without Freezing within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey all, i need some help! I purchased a 3TB hard drive yesterday and installed it without a hitch. I

Old 03-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey all, i need some help! I purchased a 3TB hard drive yesterday and installed it without a hitch. I backed up all my files to it and proceeded to fill it up. I left my computer on overnight downloading a large (64GB) file. This morning i found it was frozen on the windows logon screen, (which was weird because that means it restarted at some point). After a restart, The computer Froze at post. I unplugged the 3TB hard drive and can boot into bios no problem, but cannot load windows from the other hard drive, it freezes at windows startup logo. So i unplugged ALL hard drives, hit the CMOS reset button and took the battery out, put the battery back in and tried to load my windows 7 disc WITHOUT any hard drives plugged in, It freezes during the 'Loading Windows' process.

I will keep messing with it but i really dont know what else to do.

Thanks,
-DT

Old 03-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Is your old drive still in the system with the operating system on it or did you do a complete windows reinstall on the new drive?

Old 03-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Registered Member

old drive has windows on it, and everything was working fine until i went to sleep and woke up to a computer that cant boot
Old 03-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Download the ISO image for Memtest in my signature. Burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. Take all but ONE stick of RAM out of the computer. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the tests on each stick separately. If you get any errors (Red) that stick is bad and needs to be replaced.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Download the ISO image for Memtest in my signature. Burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. Take all but ONE stick of RAM out of the computer. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the tests on each stick separately. If you get any errors (Red) that stick is bad and needs to be replaced.

Thanks for your input but unfortunately the memory came back clean with no errors. Everytime i try to load the windows 7 setup disc it freezes at "Starting windows" and everytime i try to load windows from my hard drive it freezes at "starting windows".
Safe mode freezes loading windows drivers as well..

alright, i've figured it out, the 3TB drive was causing problems, but now can only use the 3tb drive in an enclosure (which means the speed of the drive has significantly decreased)

if anyone else has this problem or any more ideas I'd love to hear it
Old 03-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what m/board do you have

check if you need a bios update to support the 3tb
Old 03-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

I'd be curious to learn whether you attempted to clone your old drive onto the new drive. My experience has taught me that disk cloning can be a big problem if windows ends up thinking that you have two identical (not from a size perspective) drives in the same system.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
Registered Member

dai
My Mobo is a MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
and that sounds like a great idea!

and to rgsalinger,
I did not clone the drive, i was just adding the 3TB Drive for extra storage and it somehow crashed during the night ( i realized my power settings were set to turn the computer off after 5 hours) But i awoke to the windows logon screen frozen. i detached all my drives because windows would NOT boot, even with the 3TB unplugged and after fiddling with it all day, i managed to get it up and running to the point where i could attach the drive externally.

Every time i try to boot now with the 3TB plugged in internally, Post freezes right after detecting the drives. I have tested the sata and power cables, even switched sata ports with the same results.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #9
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

check for a updated nForce driver
Old 03-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #10
Registered Member

dang, no luck
The last mobo update was in 2006 (which i did back then)
and the Nvidia support only goes down to NForce5
I am using Nforce4 Ultra.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #11
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

have a look at these

Download NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller and Upgrade your Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP with the Latest NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller

nForce4 driver update version 6.86

Download nForce4 PCI-Express Root Port and Upgrade your Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP with the Latest nForce4 PCI-Express Root Port