Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Added 2nd hard drive, now pc won't boot up

This is a discussion on Added 2nd hard drive, now pc won't boot up within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I added a second hard drive over the weekend to my Dell. When I plug in the power cord,

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
I added a second hard drive over the weekend to my Dell. When I plug in the power cord, the powersupply fan comes on immediately, the power button in the front flashes amber, the floppy drive sounds like it's trying to read a disk when there's nothing in there, and the machine won't boot up.

The primary hd is a 120gb SATA drive and the secondary is a 300gb SATA.

I had opened up the case to see what was making the noise and for some reason, as I closed it the machine booted up. It hasn't been able to boot up again since then, though.

Thanks for your advice.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
Registered Member

i would check the BIOS if you can get that far and check to see if the drives are recognized. Try just using the one drive again how u had it and if that works it probably one of ur cables came loose also.
read the post before replying
they are sata drives

Old 04-04-2006, 10:15 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

The cables for those babies are known to come loose very easily, in fact some companies have ties on their cables to keep them secured. I would look there.

Another issue you may want to consider, if this new drive is a Sata II, then you need to look in your BIOS setup menu to see that you have enabled that SATA2 DMA transfer setting. Another thing, make sure you have the proper Sata ports enabled in the BIOS setup menu.

You really need to give us more information about the motherboard and a specific model on the hard drive so we know what we are dealing with in the way of Sata or Sata II. That should help a lot to know which direction you might be having a problem with.

Post back with questions or information.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
I helped the forums.

Is your new drive SATA2 or SATA? Maybe your computer does not support SATA2. Check specifications for the computer and the HDD.