Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

500GB Hitachi Deskstar, shorted + smoke

This is a discussion on 500GB Hitachi Deskstar, shorted + smoke within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Model: HDP725050GLA360 P/N 0A36505 Mar 2008 This disk was shorted somehow when placed in an external enclosure. When hooked up

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

OS: winxp pro sp3, vista home premium, ubuntu 10.04 LTS, osx 10.4.11

Model: HDP725050GLA360 P/N 0A36505 Mar 2008

This disk was shorted somehow when placed in an external enclosure. When hooked up directly to a SATA controller inside a desktop PC, the PC will not boot. In order to get the PC booting again, power has to be unplugged and reapplied.

I saw a post in here by Raptor about desoldering a TVS transient Voltag surpressor diode and was wondering if that would apply here or if a PCB swap would work? I'm open to any suggestions on how to proceed.

Here's some pictures of the PCB

closeup
entire pcb

Old 09-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

That is the TVS you have circled and it does appear to be fried. First thing to do is get the data safe before trying a PCB swap.
Remove that diode from the board, or at least unsolder one side and lift it enough to get it out of the circuit. Check the other (to the left of the damaged one inphoto) with a multi-meter in diode position and verify they are open with polarity in one direction and shorted the other. If shorted in both directions it too is bad and will need to be removed. The drive should spin up now and allow you to copy your data off. It is not protected though, did you try plugging this drive in hot? The diode blew for a reason, if it was not hot-plugging or reversed connector or perhaps a line voltage spike from a brown-out etc. then you should only run the drive on a known good power supply.
If the drive doesn't spin up now and allow you to copy your data, there may be damage further into the board or internally to the drive. The preamp on the had stack is very sensitive to voltage levels, and that is something a PCB swap won't help. Assuming you got your data back now, not much reason to do a PCB swap - you'll have to buy an identical drive to get the donor board, and it doesn't make much sense to risk the functional donor to repair this one, just put the donor in service and copy your data back.
If removing the TVS doesn't fix it, and you want to try the PCB swap...
I've had good luck with Hitachi board waps up to about 160GB, Haven't had to do any 500's and I haven't had the chance to research what adaptives may be on the ROM. on the smaller drives it appears that drive specific adaptives are stored on the platters not the ROM/NVRam so they worked pretty well.
If you are looking for a donor, here is what I match for any donor on Hitachi for PCB
Front label on drive-
Model
P/N
Speed
MLC - exact
Country of Orig.
Rev.
DP/N - preferred
Close date

White label on PCB -
First two lines exact
Last two lines as close as possible
The label on the PCB is going to be critical for your match - the first two lines must be perfect, and the last two match as many as possible.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the super fast reply. That's impressive.

The donor drive I have is very close since the 2 drives came from the same enclosure.

Model - same
P/N - same
Speed - same
MLC - same
Country of Orig. - same
Rev. - ?
DP/N - ?
Date - same

On PCB

First two lines are exact
Last two lines - 5 of 10 digits identical

The bad PSU was from the lacie enclosure and now I'm using a quality PSU inside a desktop workstation.

Desoldering the TVS worked and allowed the PC to boot and drive to be detected. I'm currently doing a byte by byte image of the 500GB disk to a 1000GB disk and will try to work from there. Thank you for your advice and getting me over this hurdle.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi,

Apologies for the hijak!

Sounds like a very similar issue I have with my identical drive. Mine was out of a Freecom Datatank ... was set up in Raid0 so I'm REAL keen to try and get it working. Although I do have backups, the last few months were pretty hectic and the schedule slipped a bit ....

I tried the PCB swap with an identical drive, and although the problem drive now spins up, when I connect it to my PC it is only recognised as a "Disk drive" with no manufacturer or model specifics. The properties tab in Vista recognises it also as a "Disk drive", but if you try to bring up volume information it fails.

So close but so far! Any further tips on how to get some data off of this beast.

Cheers,
Ripface.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

The PCB swap probably won't work, did you check the TVS diodes as above?
Old 09-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Registered Member

You beauty!!

It's alive!! ... Well, it spins up anyways!

Now for the fun part, it's part of a raid set from a (ex) Freecom Datatank. Gotta try and destripe the array now to get some data off of it ....

Thanks a HEAP!! Got some precious family video on there that I really don't want to lose ... and yes I was doing backups. Well, of a sort. Kind of. Ok, I admit it, I ran out of space on my backup drive, and sacrificed the *huge* video folder to take an extra snapshot of my music and photos.

Doh!

(REALLY kicking myself, I bug my mates about taking regular backups all the time)

Cheers,
Ripface.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
Registered Member

*Update*

Plugged the drive into my spare PC, and up she comes! Brilliant!! Is this likely to stay up long enough to do a Raid analysis on it, or should I kick of a byte/byte copy while the going is good?

Cheers,
Ripface
Old 09-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Clone it while it's running...
Old 12-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
Registered Member

This thread saved my day..I should thank you all..I was really depresses after connecting my power supply connector to the hard disk in opposite way..PC couldn't turn on while the disk was plugged in..Then I realized that a diode was burnt and was wondering how to fix it..Thanks so much for this wonderful thread again..I removed TVS diode and now I am backing up data from my burnt Hard disk.. :) :)
You all made my day!!!
Old 01-13-2010, 12:35 AM   #10
Registered Member

Hey guys,

I've got the same problem, altho my hdd is samsung so I know it doesn't fit into the category that you guys describe as giving support to but I thought you may know.

Problem is smoke started coming from the hdd after my media players power supply made a strange sound. I have attached a picture and the red circle is what I see to be the problem as it is clearly darker than those surrounding it.

What can I do if anything?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01518.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	63751  
Old 01-13-2010, 04:25 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

That is a TVS resistor, same fix and warnings as above. Please start a new thread so we can provide individual support.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
Registered Member

New user, same problem (I think).

I also have (er, had) a LaCie 500GB external. PS smoked (buzzed, got hot w/no load, etc). So I pulled the Hitachi out. Plugged it in to a computer here at work yesterday. Came up, but Vista couldn't read any of the data or assign a drive letter. So, I thought maybe it was formatted for use with linux, so went to plug it in today. Computer wouldn't boot with it plugged in this morning, so I jiggled the connector to make sure it was seated and I heard a couple snap/pops. Nothing on the top side of the PCB looks smoked, I need to find a Torx to remove the board to see if something on the underside is smoked.

It is also a March 2008 0A36505 DeskStar drive (same . Where can I get a new PCB for this? I'm not having much luck...
Old 02-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

What is the full model number. PCB swap may not be an option without swapping ROMs also between the boards. Check the component side, and test the diodes near the power connector and se if they are shorted in both directions using a multimeter that has a diode test position.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #14
Registered Member

0A36505BA27270C83
March 2008
PN: 0A36505
Cap: 500GB
SN:RE1KBR7E
MLC: BA2727
Model: HDP752050GLA360
PCB PN: 0A29740BA2631-Z328060W3T

No visual damage on either side of the PCB, have not had time to check the diodes. No crack(s) or "smoke" marks...
Old 02-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

They don't always leave externally visible marks, the junction can break down internally so a meter is about the only way to be certain. When you say won't boot, - does it not power on, or how far through the boot process does it get? Can you feel the drive spin up?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #16
Registered Member

The PS wouldn't even turn on. Push the button, and you normally get a brief yellow (?) indicator light, then it goes blue and you hear the fans self test, drive(s) spin up, etc. The light stayed yellow, no fan test, etc. It's a Dell Vostro small-profile tower/desktop (while great for foot print size, not so good for working inside) that I was using to try and test.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

That sounds like a blown TVS. Did you try it with just the dead drive connected?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #18
Registered Member

No, hadn't tried that yet. I was going to try that later this week when some things I have to get done for customers well, get done...
Old 02-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

OK we'll be here :)
Old 02-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuatrokoop View Post
New user, same problem (I think).

I also have (er, had) a LaCie 500GB external. PS smoked (buzzed, got hot w/no load, etc). So I pulled the Hitachi out. Plugged it in to a computer here at work yesterday. Came up, but Vista couldn't read any of the data or assign a drive letter. So, I thought maybe it was formatted for use with linux, so went to plug it in today. Computer wouldn't boot with it plugged in this morning, so I jiggled the connector to make sure it was seated and I heard a couple snap/pops. Nothing on the top side of the PCB looks smoked, I need to find a Torx to remove the board to see if something on the underside is smoked.

It is also a March 2008 0A36505 DeskStar drive (same . Where can I get a new PCB for this? I'm not having much luck...
One thing to note, if it's the same model that I was working with than it won't show up in Vista. The enclosure I was working with was two 500GB drives formated with XFS and spanned across both disks to appear as a single 1TB partition. I purchased this excellent software in order to recover the data from the corrupted drive in addition to the amazing desoldering instructions provided by raptor_pa. I'm still forever thankful for the assistance provided and glad this thread is helping others adept enough to perform these type of recoveries. raptor_pa I bow down to your mad skills and knowledge