Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

3tb drive troubles

This is a discussion on 3tb drive troubles within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey all, I recently bought a Hitachi 7k3000, I took it out of it's enclosure and plugged it into my

Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey all,

I recently bought a Hitachi 7k3000, I took it out of it's enclosure and plugged it into my pc but now the previous gpt ntfs single partition is instead recognised as unallocated!! :( is there any fix!?! When it asked me to initialize the drive I selected GPT...

Just to specify system:
Mobo - Asus Maximus Gene-z Gen3

Any helps appreciated!
Problaze

Old 03-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

Is this a brand new drive? Is there any data on it?

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
JMPC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:43 AM   #3
Registered Member

Recent drive but the data on it significant too...
So no simple format!

What's surprising me is when it was in the USB enclosure I could use it fine it was just when I put it into Sata...
Old 03-29-2012, 03:22 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
When it asked me to initialize the drive I selected GPT...
Quote:
You can convert only empty, unpartitioned disks (raw drives or empty MBR drives) to the GPT format. To convert a volume that contains data, you must first manually delete the partition.
If you chose to Initialize a drive with Data on it as GPT you basically removed the data. Download the demo version of R-Studio and let it scan your drive (it will take a long time) Then you decide if it is worth it to actually restore your files. You will need another drive of the same size to recover your files to.
Moving this thread to the HDD forum for better results.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:05 AM   #5
Moderator hardware team

Can you put it "back" into the ext case and access the data ? I haven't looked up the specs but I guess this is the new 4K sector format and the ext case is doing the conversion for compatibility sake so the OS can see it as 51K sectors

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Networks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for the help so far guys!! (and moving the thread!)

Okay so I put the hard drive back into ext and now it doesn't show in explorer but does show in Disk Management, although it is asking me to initialize the disk!! I haven't selected anything...

EDIT:
Interestingly I used the ext and plugged the hd into my mac, it told me the drive was MBR...although I thought this was not possibly with partitions greater than 2tb...

Problaze
Old 03-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Registered Member

Sorry for bump BUT!

Crisis averted...

I used gdisk in ubuntu to find out partition information
Promptly took drive and used testdisk to rewrite partitions and have recovered the majority if not all of the data!!

Thanks again for the help!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
Moderator hardware team

Windows 7 strikes again re-wrote the sector and messed up the partition. Now its time to get a backup to either another drive or the cloud of the important data and best to either leave it in the ext case or remove and re-partition / format and leave installed inside PC can't have it both ways.

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Old 03-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
Registered Member

Okay so its happened similarly again!

This time I DIDN'T initialize the drive!
I re-installed the intel storage drivers...
this is when it's plugged in via sata -> I just want it working over sata really, I did however fix it originally over usb 2...

EDIT:
Could my machine just not be liking the GPT partition table?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
Moderator hardware team

When you are connecting the drive via SATA win7 is re-writing the sector you don't even have to ask it to it does it behind the scene. You didn't follow my advice !

Old 03-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
Registered Member

Whoops I really should learn to read :P

Is there no way to fix it without using another drive? I do understand the importance of backup (hurray world backup day) but as I am strapped for cash I can't really afford another similarly sized drive :(
Old 03-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
Moderator hardware team

not that I know of. You have to get the data off then re-partition/format and put the data back on it. Now you have to "fix" it again with testdisk and put it "back" in the ext case to get access to the data.

Gear in this thread