Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2nd internal HDD shutting off

878 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
Sometimes when I am downloading something to my second HDD, it will turn off and back on again. It has also happened a few times while I am playing games. The HDD is very old but I tested another HDD and the problem is still there. My PC is still completely functional when this happens, and the HDD usually starts back up immediately after it shuts off.

Also, I made sure it doesn't turn off in power options.

Specs:
GPU: ATI RX 480 8gb
CPU: AMD FX 8370
MOBO:ASUS M5A99FX
PSU: 600W
RAM:16GB
SSD: 240GB(Primary)
HDD: 250GB

Any ideas on what could be causing this issue?

#4 ·
Well sorry to say Rosewill is mostly poor quality and I would never be using 9 year old hard drives for backup purposes. The PSU should give you a year or so but maybe not as that is the most likely place to look. That Rosewill is made by ATNG which I have never heard of so I'll go ,see what I can find.That Psu says "80 watts cert pending" and it appears they make those slimline unit very low power, power supplies. I can see only 1 unit made under their own name is full size psu as we use in a tower and it looks really poorly made low end quality. I would bet the Psu is the problem new or not based on what I see here. But it still could be the old hard drives comiong upon bad sectors I guess. Have you run checkdisk on them?

#5 ·
1 of the HDDs is filled with bad sectors and doesn't have much life left, but the other is fine besides being somewhat noisy. I usually use them for my games that don't require save files so I don't risk losing important data if they die. I knew I shouldn't have cheaped out on my PSU and may purchase a tier 1 soon. My main concern is it damaging my other components until then, could this happen with a poor quality PSU?

#6 ·
My main concern is it damaging my other components until then, could this happen with a poor quality PSU?
Yes a PSU that is under powered or failing will take several computer components down with it.
1 of the HDDs is filled with bad sectors and doesn't have much life left, but the other is fine besides being somewhat noisy.
This can cause your computer to slow down and not boot and many other issues, these drives need to be replaced as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.