Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

0x000000007b error, hard drive seems ok

This is a discussion on 0x000000007b error, hard drive seems ok within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a compaq presario desktop which would not boot. Have used the recovery disks but still did not boot,

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a compaq presario desktop which would not boot. Have used the recovery disks but still did not boot, various files missing incl sys 32. Borrowed an xp disc but installation stopped and recd the above error. rang chkdsk in recovery console No probs , have also run SMART no probs.

I am not bothered about getting my files back but just want to be able to use it again. What could be the problem. Can anyone help me please?

Old 01-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

What is the make and model of the hard drive? Download the manufacturer's diagnostics to check the physical disk, chkdsk only deals with logical file system errors, not physical disk errors.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Registered Member

its a samsung 2540c. I am unable to get on to that PC because the disk has been formatted. If I download the diagnostics I would have to do it on another PC. How would I get it to work. I was thinking of just buying another hard drive but don't know how to tell if its software, hard drive or motherboard problem.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Most manufacturer's have a bootable cd image for their diagnostics, so you could burn the disk on another machine, then boot to it on yours to run the diagnostics.
Double check the model number, google is returning no results for a samsung model 2540c. If this is a sata drive, make sure the SATA port in BIOS is set to IDE, legacy, ATA, or compatibility ( will vary by BIOS ) and try XP install again
Old 01-14-2010, 03:48 AM   #5
Registered Member

i have a toshiba sat pro a100 and it will not pick the hard drive up it keeps saying IDE #0 ERROR Insert system disk i try reinstall win xp but it stops and says set up did not find any hard disk drives installed. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer and i have not got a clue what it is can ant one help me please thanks.