Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Design Forum > Graphic Design, Digital Imaging, and Multimedia

Transforming and cropping multiple images with photoshop 7

This is a discussion on Transforming and cropping multiple images with photoshop 7 within the Graphic Design, Digital Imaging, and Multimedia forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This is what I am trying to do to, I start with an image like this: The image dimensions are

Old 02-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

This is what I am trying to do to, I start with an image like this:

The image dimensions are too big for what I want, so I transform it's scale, and I have this next, 1/4th the size

And, third, I crop out the white in the picture, the white isn't the canvas is it? I'm left with this

This is what I want to do with about 42 other images, So I go to open, go the directory the pictures are in, select them all by CTRL clicking them one by one, and they will all open in Photoshop cascaded over each other.

Now, I go the actions option under the window menu, click the create new action icon, title it "transform and crop" under the select menu I click select all. Then, I go to edit, transform, scale, resize the picture to 1/4th, which is what I want. Once I have it the size I want, I can't use deselect, it's greyed out, So I press enter, this adds "transform current layer" as a step to the this action I am making.

Now I am able to select deselect, and it does deselect it, which adds "set selection" to the action. Next, I want to crop it. So what I do is zoom out so I can see the entire image and the white.

The crop tool won't work in this case, for some reason, I just can't get it to fit the image exactly. If I start from the bottom right and try to drag to the top left, it won't let me drag all the way to the top left. If I start from the top left and try to drag to the bottom right, it will let me cover the entire image top to bottom, but will be too long, longer the the image size.

But the rectangular marquee will work. So I use that to select the image, then once I have it selected, choose image crop. And right click, select deselect. Now I have it completed for that image.

I'm told however that if I'm doing this to multiple images I have to select the one behind it and do the same thing I just did with this one, which I do.

The whole action's steps are like this:

Transform and Crop
1. Set Selection
2. Transform current layer
3. Set Selection
4. Set Selection
5. Crop
6. Set Selection
7. Select Previous Document
8. Set Selection
9. Transform Current Layer
10. Set Selection
11. Set Selection
12. Crop
13. Set Selection

So, what I do once I have it completed is open all the images again, cascades over each other. Then, I click the play button on this action, until I get the message there there is no previous document anymore. But, Once I have do this action to all the images, here is what I am left with for each image, a little sliver for each one, which is not what I was looking to get

So, what I am doing wrong here?

Old 02-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Don't use Edit > Transform for resizing the whole image. This option is best left for resizing layers or small areas inside the image.

To quickly and easily resize an image in Photoshop, go to Image > Image Size in the top menu bar. Set the new size in the Width and Height boxes, using pixels or percentage. Make sure the 'Constrain proportions' box is ticked to maintain the image's original shape. Click OK and the image will be resized without leaving any extra white space. Save as a new name or in a new folder so you don't overwrite the original image.

To repeat this for your other 40 images, you can either open them one at a time and repeat the steps, or you can just do the resizing once while recording the steps as a macro (Window>Actions). Playing back the macro will perform the steps on all your other selected images, resizing them either to the same originally selected pixel dimensions or to the same percentage.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by koala View Post
Don't use Edit > Transform for resizing the whole image. This option is best left for resizing layers or small areas inside the image.
What is the white called, is that the canvas, or is the grey area around it the canvas?

Quote:
To quickly and easily resize an image in Photoshop, go to Image > Image Size in the top menu bar. Set the new size in the Width and Height boxes, using pixels or percentage. Make sure the 'Constrain proportions' box is ticked to maintain the image's original shape. Click OK and the image will be resized without leaving any extra white space. Save as a new name or in a new folder so you don't overwrite the original image.
I resized it by pixel size, it was 1600x1200, I resized it to 800 x 600 I actually didn't use constrain proportions, but it looks like it resized it to what I wanted.

Quote:
To repeat this for your other 40 images, you can either open them one at a time and repeat the steps, or you can just do the resizing once while recording the steps as a macro (Window>Actions). Playing back the macro will perform the steps on all your other selected images, resizing them either to the same originally selected pixel dimensions or to the same percentage.
Actually it doesn't. Well, I have to press the play button for each image I want to resize, it won't resize them all one by one with one click of it. I'm guessing there is some way to loop it, I don't know how, though.

One thing is I may have made the images too small of a file size. Good thing I still have the originals. I have three folders. One of the originals after I took pictures of them. The second is after I resized them all as 0 quality JPEG files. The third is after I have resized them to be a smaller pixel size, like I just did. The second time I saved them, I think I saved them as zero quality jpegs again, which made them half the file size, the quality seems to have degraded somewhat.

Anyway, do you know why I was having the problem before of them being little slivers of images?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Here's basically what they the old and the new one, after resizing it's pixels look like, in inches, They are both the same size on screen, but at different magnifications.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Just wondering if there's a way I can get it to be smaller on screen without changing the image quality. I want to post these to Craig's list, will it matter though, what magnification the image is at? Won't it post whatever the default image size is, no matter what I set the magnification at?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Sorry for the late reply. Do you still need help with this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC person
What is the white called, is that the canvas, or is the grey area around it the canvas?
The white area is the canvas, which is part of the image and can be removed if required. The grey area, where the images and buttons are located, is Photoshop's desktop.
Quote:
One thing is I may have made the images too small of a file size. Good thing I still have the originals. I have three folders. One of the originals after I took pictures of them. The second is after I resized them all as 0 quality JPEG files. The third is after I have resized them to be a smaller pixel size, like I just did. The second time I saved them, I think I saved them as zero quality jpegs again, which made them half the file size, the quality seems to have degraded somewhat.
The images that you've resized using 0% quality for the jpeg setting will probably be useless and can safely be deleted. A setting of 70% quality or higher will give good results.
Quote:
Just wondering if there's a way I can get it to be smaller on screen without changing the image quality. I want to post these to Craig's list, will it matter though, what magnification the image is at?
The magnification only affects how the image is viewed on your screen while you're editing, it doesn't affect the actual dimensions or filesize of the image. View it at 100% to see how it will appear when used on Craig's List. If it's too big, resize again, keeping the jpeg quality at 70% or higher.