Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Design Forum > Graphic Design, Digital Imaging, and Multimedia

[SOLVED] Photoshop CS2 Updates

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Photoshop CS2 Updates within the Graphic Design, Digital Imaging, and Multimedia forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have a question regarding Photoshop CS2's auto-update feature. I like to listen to internet radio while I work

Old 06-28-2007, 05:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Question

Hi, I have a question regarding Photoshop CS2's auto-update feature.

I like to listen to internet radio while I work in CS2, but I don't like the extra memory usage (and distraction) caused by the auto-update feature chiming in whenever I open Photoshop while on-line. I'd also like the freedom of looking up reference pictures on the web without having to go through the process of canceling the update every time. If I really wanted to update, I'd just go to Adobe's site .

Anyway, here's my question: is there a way to actually disable the update search in preferences (I've looked, but haven't found it)? Or some other, sneaky way, such as renaming a file in the plug-ins?

Thanks for the help :). And sorry if this is the wrong place for this question...

Old 06-28-2007, 05:27 AM   #2
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Hello and welcome to TSF

Have you tried to end the process for the ADOBE update?

“You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey (Ceremony speech)
Go The Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:50 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

You mean in Task Manager? It doesn't show up there until I start Photoshop while on-line. And if I ended the process then, it would just happen the next time, right?

What I'm trying to do is make sure it never starts up at all. Sorry if I misunderstood your suggestion.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:57 AM   #4
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

No That is what I meant. Yea I did mean in task manger.

“You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey (Ceremony speech)
Go The Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:07 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

use the menu help>updates
there you can decheck updates under preferences.

"it takes two to lie, one to lie and one to listen"
Homer
Inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:14 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
use the menu help>updates
there you can decheck updates under preferences.
O_O Thank you. I didn't know that was there.

I just wish I hadn't gone to the Adobe site to see if there was something I missed. There was a page I didn't know about, detailing how to disable updates in CS2. It had me create a notepad document called DisableAUM_Updates.reg which I then import into the registry. It worked, but it seems pretty permanent (the help option you mentioned is now grayed out). I hope I didn't make a mistake there.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:20 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

probably not. a lot of things can be undone in the registry once you know what you did in the first place. can you give me the registry entry you used?

Homer
Old 06-28-2007, 06:30 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Phew. That's a relief.

Here's the text I entered before saving as "DisableAUM_Updates.reg" and importing:

Quote:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Updater]

"Enterprise"=dword:00000001
Old 06-28-2007, 06:50 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

i had a quick look at my registry. that Updater key was not there, but i created one and then created a dword called enterprise and set it's value to 1 in that key. essentially what you did, only i used regedit. sure enough update was ghosted out. i undid it by deleteing that key and update was re-enabled.

so it can be undone, but since you wanted updates disabled maybe you should leave the registry as it is.

Homer
Old 06-28-2007, 07:12 AM   #10
Registered Member

My System

Ah, I see now. It's at least good to know I can undo it if I ever have the need.

Thanks very much, everyone .