Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Design Forum > Graphic Design, Digital Imaging, and Multimedia

[SOLVED]CGI Animation software for idiots?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED]CGI Animation software for idiots? within the Graphic Design, Digital Imaging, and Multimedia forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'd like to start playing with CGI Animation.....however, other than the $8,000 ILM software, I can't find anything to "learn"

Old 04-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I'd like to start playing with CGI Animation.....however, other than the $8,000 ILM software, I can't find anything to "learn" on. I know Poser 7 will create 3D models, but not sure of animation. Have seen several environmental rendering programs, but no idea if I could import/integrate characters into the mess.

I'm no code writer. The best I can do is a few command prompts for links and images. So a tool-based program would be a must.

My goal would be to produce YouTube type animated shorts (think:crazy frog), not full-length motion pictures. Though it WOULD be cool to make CGI Animated sigs.......lol

I am fully willing to accept a LONG learning curve, heck, I expect it and even enjoy it. I learn best by "doing", anyhow.

This is something I'd like to start in the next 6-8 months. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I'd be willing to spend up to ~$1,000, but would prefer less in case I just don't get it. Just don't tell me I need to learn code. = )

Eric

Old 04-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

Blender - http://www.blender.org/
FREE

DAZ Studio - http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/software/studio/-/?&_m=d
FREE

Maya PLE (Personal Learning Edition) - http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=7639525
FREE

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
ebackhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Joo roxors! Thank you, I know what I'm doing this weekend. LOL

Like that Daz, Poser without the $200 pricetag.

Much and many thanks!

Eric
Old 04-27-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

ebakhus, I'm currently trying to decide whether to love you or hate you for showing me Blender. Kinda like introducing a dealer to an addict.....

The UI is gonna take me a month or more to get down. Still have to figure out this whole Python thing and what it is. Looks like I gotta learn some code, after all. Lucky me. LOL

I figure if I can manage make a crummy looking ball bounce in the next couple of months, I'll be spot-on for the learning curve. Gonna look into a Community College course. According to Blender.org, supposedly many CC's offer courses.

I'm both excited and overwhelmed right now. lol

Thank you, again!

Eric
Old 04-28-2008, 05:30 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

here is a good manual for blender.

"it takes two to lie, one to lie and one to listen"
Homer
Inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssrogg View Post
ebakhus, I'm currently trying to decide whether to love you or hate you for showing me Blender. Kinda like introducing a dealer to an addict.....

The UI is gonna take me a month or more to get down. Still have to figure out this whole Python thing and what it is. Looks like I gotta learn some code, after all. Lucky me. LOL

I figure if I can manage make a crummy looking ball bounce in the next couple of months, I'll be spot-on for the learning curve. Gonna look into a Community College course. According to Blender.org, supposedly many CC's offer courses.

I'm both excited and overwhelmed right now. lol

Thank you, again!

Eric
Bwah ha ha ha ha!!

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
ebackhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Thanks for the manual, Freddy. Highschool textbook should be perfect at this point. LOL

I have saved about 6 e-books and maybe a dozen video tutorials, as well. But would be nicer to have an actual paper book so I can reference it easily while working. Found a couple put out by the Blender foundation, and the Mancandy DVD tutorials. No lack of resources, just need to assimilate it all.

ebackhus- Joo ees EBIL! (sorry, too much EQ..)

Eric