Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

QuickTime crashing Vista.

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  dustwolf 
#1 ·
Hi all,

First, I hope I'm posting in the right place, but if not please tell me where this should be posted under.

My problem is I've taken videos on my Samsung Flipshot phone and the files are 3gpp2. Something as simple as wanting to view them on my computer is turning into a major headache. My system is;

Dell Dimension C521
AMD 64X2 Dual Core 3600 +1.90 GHz
1 GB 32-bit
Windows Vista Home Basic
Service Pack 1

I have QuickTime 7.6, but for whatever reason, this isn't playing very nice with my system. On some of the files it keeps crashing my system to the blue screen and memory dumping. I didn't write down the stop numbers, but I don't think that really matters concerning this? I dl ConvertHQ to convert the files to AVI, but the quality *ahem* sucks. The files that crashed my system were fine, since HQ had no problem in bringing them up and converting. So, my questions are - is there a program anyone knows of that will play 3gpp2 on Vista? And, do all converters have basically the same quality when going from 3gpp2 to AVI?

See less See more
#2 ·
VLC will play them, but it doesn't support all audio codecs used in 3gp (notably samr). You can try and find out whether it works though. You can also try QuickTime Alternative (don't know if it'll give you more stability, because a lot of the files are QuickTime files anyway - in particular the audio and video decoders). Last you can try a combo of ffdshow-tryouts along with a 3gp splitter (like Haali - it parses mp4's mov's and 3gp's). Don't know if it'll play the odd audio portions either.
If none of those prove suitable, you can try converting your 3gp files in the interim. Google for some (lots of freeware ones - here's one hit: http://www.gromkov.com/faq/faq2004-0067.html ).

I'm really shocked something as... non-essential as QuickTime Player would cause a BSOD. Does it only happen with 3g2 files? Does it happen with any other container? (mov, mp4)

#3 ·
Hi Blah789,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try these and post updates as to which ones work, or don't, in case others might have the same problem. As for QuickTime causing a BSOD (thanks for that info too, as I didn't know what the name of that type of crash was), as of yet it has only happened with 3pp2 files. I've used it with other camera phones (I "think" they had simply 3p2 or 3g2) and never had this problem before.

I'm rethinking my choice of cell phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.