Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

help needed for converting videos...

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ReviverSoft 
#1 · (Edited)
hi
i have lots of films,which are mostly in .mkv format,but some of them are so big size that they are taking too much space on hard drive,i want to shrink their size,i heard that in .mkv format,quality remains better and size gets reduced.
i downloaded handbrake which converts in x264 format (i apologize i am less techy in this case,i don't have enough knowledge of different formats and their details) but this handbrake takes huge time to do the job,almost the same time as that of film and system process raises to 100%. the link of handbrake is:
HandBrake

i want to know is there alternative and if there is? does it take less system resources.OR is it normal to take this much system resources for conversion.

if there is any other format that is good,to maintain the quality but reduce the size,i would be thankful for your help.

#2 ·
Converting mkv to h264 is going to take a long time whichever program you use as they are both high quality codecs. Using h264, you should see a reduction in file size without having to reduce the quality much, if at all.

HandBrake is very good for this kind of work. You could also try Format Factory to see how they compare. The latest version allows you to convert using multi-threading, which makes it much quicker if you have a fast multi-core CPU.

100% CPU usage is normal when converting video formats, nothing to worry about. It's a good idea to close down any other background CPU-intensive programs to speed up the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.