Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can I add/edit a movie using Win Movie maker?

913 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  koala 
#1 ·
:smile: Hay guys, if I put this in the forum, so sorry I goof, but this is a need to know if'en you got time, OK.

Here what I've got; I have a home movie I have just recorded from my VCR into the computer has a Mpeg file. I am going to convert it using AutoGK to AVI file and put it on DVD, It is 6,303,942 KB right now. --- OK now before I convert it, I want to Add/edit in some frames, or a note or two ( I guess that is what you call it) into the beginning of the movie like it is part of the movie not the title/subtitle caption in different places of the movie. I had the thought that I could use Win Movie Maker or simulator program to do just that prior to using AutoGK to convert and compress the movie..

Question is can I do that and the Second question is will autoGK convert the add in along with the regular movie?

Another question is there a way to tell how much (estimate) Mpeg is compress into AVI or how many Kb will convert to GB before I actually do the converting? I guess here is there a formula I can use to estimate this ?
I'll be waiting for you assistants guys while I eat my tomato :grin::laugh::laugh::laugh:

#2 · (Edited)
First up - Windows Moviemaker will split it into more manageable chunks when you import it as its import file size limit is 4GB (depending on which version you have - earlier versions were limited to 2GB).
This means you would have to work on 2 clips in the timeline then export it as a movie, then re-encode with AGK to bring file size down if the export from WMM didn't get it down small enough to fit on a standard 4.7GB DVD. You may also find WMM or more to the point, your computer struggling to render a 6GB file :sigh:
Format Factory would do the things you want to do but I think its file size is also limited to 4GB
You may be better off re-encoding the mpeg to get it down to below 4GB - not even sure AGK will handle that size file but try it - it can only throw its hands in the air in horror and crash :laugh:
Then after re-encoding it import it into either Windows Moviemaker or Format Factory and do your edits - adding captions etc and then export it - you WILL lose some quality doing it this way as it is going through another 2 re-encodes but I think it may be the only feasible way to go about it with a file of that size.

#3 ·
An alternative method that I've used to fit large video files onto a DVD.......

After you've completed the edits, save it using high settings. Don't worry about the file size for now. Then use the freeware DVD Flick to burn to DVD. This will automatically reduce the filesize to 4.3gb so it will fit on a standard single layer DVD without reducing the image quality too much. You don't need to do anything complicated, just click the Project Settings icon and set the Target Size to 'DVD'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.