Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ANY HELP WITH WINDOWS LIVE MOVIE MAKER ?

2K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  freedave 
#1 ·
Can anyone help resolve a few issues with Movie Maker?

Dave

#4 ·
Hi Koala, thanks for helping! Issues: 1. In WL Movie Maker 2011, there's no separate track for music. I'm making the video by laying in short clips, building it as I go, syncing it with the music, played along in a separate program. Pain!! When I lay the music in in WLMM 2011, when I cut & paste, it cuts the music too.

I'm hesitant to update to WLMM 2012, until I get feedback. Can I lay the music in on the narration track they added to play along to add the video clips, so I can sync it to music while creating it.

The other issue is, if I should upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 which has its own issues I hear. I don't yet know what version of WLMM is compatible and what features they have.

The other issue is memory use. I'm about 1 minute into a 5 minute video and it starts to crash at the end. I've read this is a problem with other people. Thanks so much, Koala for your feedback!! Best, Pattin

#5 ·
Movie Maker doesn't have a proper timeline that allows the audio to be edited independently of the video. You might be better off using a different program, one with multi-track editing, if that's an important requirement for your work.

How do I edit audio with Windows Movie Maker? Tech Ease

You can try repositioning the music tracks by setting the start point for each audio clip, but I'm not sure how this would affect the positioning of any other audio clips in the project.

Possible alternatives:
Kdenlive
VideoPad

The problem with your videos crashing during editing could be due to not enough RAM or the page file being too small. It's a common problem with Movie Maker, so a better program might be your best option.

#7 ·
The page file is virtual memory. If your computer doesn't have enough physical memory (RAM) for the software to run properly, it uses space on the hard drive to act as memory. Usually Windows will handle the memory requirements properly, but some programs like Movie Maker need more or they will crash.

You can try increasing the size of the page file, but there's no guarantee it will fix the problem. Instructions here: Change the size of virtual memory - Windows Help

At step 7 in the instructions, set the Initial and Maximum values to 4096. If it still crashes, increase them to 8192. If this doesn't fix it, reset back to the automatic setting.

#9 ·
Hi Koala, I've been on Video Pad all afternoon learning it, but it seems it won't do the main thing I need which is laying in the music at about 21 seconds into the video. It will only lay into the beginning and I can't find a way to move it where it needs to go. I've googled it a dozen times but it doesn't seem to work in the free version. Do you have any idea? Thanks for your help! Best, PattiN

#12 ·
Hi, thanks so much! So, I went to the site to download Shotcut and google blocked it saying that it could harm my computer with malware, etc. so I didn't download it. I don't know what to do about that. Do you know if Shotcut has the capacity to lay in music clips in the middle of the video? In VideoPad, the music would just go in at the beginning and I failed to move it to the 21 seconds in that I needed to start it. That would help. I'd like to download it and try it. Thanks again. PattiN

#13 ·
I downloaded and scanned the Shotcut exe file with 3 different malware/virus scanners (Malwarebytes, Spybot-Search&Destroy and AVG antivirus) all came back clean.
After scanning I installed Shotcut and imported a video (with audio) track from a music video project I'm currently working on...trimmed to correct start & finish points (topped & tailed it)
When recording the video I was also recording just audio from the mixing deck using a Zoom H2n digital audio recorder. In Shotcut I was able to add an extra audio track to my timeline and inserted the Zoom H2n audio there, topped & tailed it then muted the original video's audio track so that the separate Zoom H2n track became the video's audio...you are able to move the tracks along the timeline to where you want to so this became the method to align the Zoom audio by using the audio tracks' waveforms to visually match peaks.
Unfortunately Shotcut doesn't allow you to separate the original video's audio track from the video track...hence the need for me to mute the track. If you really need to do this you could use a freeware converter such as Handbrake, Format Factory or any other conversion software you have to grab the audio from your original video footage.
Once in Shotcut you can follow the same process I did.

hope this helps

#14 · (Edited)
Before deciding on which video editor to use, look at its features list to see if it will do what you're looking for.

Example from the Kdenlive features page: https://kdenlive.org/features
* Multitrack edition with a timeline and unlimited number of video and audio tracks.

* Video and audio tracks organized in layers.

* Tools to create, move, crop and delete video clips, audio clips, text clips and image clips.
You should be able to reposition the audio clip on the audio timeline to wherever you want. If not, you can create a 21 second clip of silence and add that to the start.

#15 ·
Hello Koala, Zuluclayman, and any others.

Patti now has three different alternatives to Movie Maker to choose from.

She needs help in choosing which one to use.

And she needs help in learning to how to use whichever one she chooses.

She does not have much experience editing videos, so I hope there might be a way to make this as simple as possible . . .

Dave

#16 ·
If you've already tried Shotcut and Videopad, then Kdenlive looks like it has the audio track features you're looking for.

The video and audio are edited on separate tracks, so you can move the audio clips to wherever you want on the timeline.

This is the Timeline Editing section of the manual: https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manual/Timeline/Editing

#18 ·
I've never used it, but it looks similar to most other multitrack editors, so it shouldn't be too hard to learn the basics of moving clips around the timeline.

Zuluclayman teaches video editing at school or college, I think, so he'll be able to give better advice than me. :smile:

#22 ·
Hi freedave and pattin

sorry for the delay...I am involved in a rather time consuming art project at the moment and don't get much time to do longer replies/help here...fortunately it is coming to its conclusion and this weekend I may be able to spend some time helping.

if you want me to help I would prefer you to use Shotcut as I have it on my computer and have had a play with it a bit.

I use Adobe Premiere Pro & Adobe After Effects for my editing purposes but it is expensive so freeware editing software is good to see... I recommend various freeware programs to students I teach in photography & video as starting points before lashing out heaps of $$$ for paid software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.