Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

whistling from wheel

2K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  Wrench97 
#1 ·
Had a knock on my front passenger side was the anti roll bar link also told the mechanic I was getting a whistling sound from the front drivers side wheel been told its not the bearing or the breaks.

my tires are pretty worn and my alloys are kerbed, I have one new tire on the back. Could this be to do with it?

#2 ·
I doubt it's a tire, but a simple wheel switch front to back will tell.

If you rev the motor up sitting still in neutral/park you do not hear the whistle correct?

If not and bearing, brakes, backing plates, front half shafts(if front wheel drive) are not the issue look for a loose inner fender well, loose trim, or something else the wind is getting to while driving.

#3 ·
I will swap front to back.

Yeah it doesn't happen until I have done about 15 miles, its quite odd as the sound bounces back of other objects such as other cars.

The noise goes away when I brake but comes straight back, sometimes it doesn't happen at all. For instance on my way to work today it didn't happen for 15 miles driven at roughly 60mph all the way and the other 3 miles was at 30 and it happen all the way until I had to stop at some traffic lightts half a mile away from work.

Its definetly something rotational if you ask me. Everywhere on the net I have looked seem to say brakes apart from one where the guy had the exact same issue, he changed discs, pads and bearings he eventually put on his spare tire and the noise went away.

point to note is my back left tire exploded a couple of weeks ago and I had to get a truck come out with a new tire. Could it be that the 3 older tires are imbalanced with the new one? Also I was always told that if you were replacing a tire you should do two i.e front and back on the same side not sure if there is any truth to that though. (car is front wheel drive)

#6 ·
Another possibility is a loose trim piece from when car was jacked up, regardless of which tire was replaced. Another thought is that noises' location are difficult to pinpoint when driving.

#11 ·
Friends ask if it's worth it to get 4 wheel alignment. I tell them on FWD it's imperative. Price is usually only $10 or $15 more than front only. As long as I'm an alignment rant, a good shop checks the alignment for around $30 and doesn't perform unneeded adjustments.

#13 ·
Here's an old liability lawyer joke:
What's the difference between a surgeon and an auto mechanic?
The auto mechanic doesn't leave tools inside the body when he finishes.

Since some need an explanation for the above, it's standard procedure to count all tools on the operating room table before and after an operation. The procedure is not always adhered to. Big bucks for plaintiff and attorney.

#14 ·
the suspension is independant and not adjustable for an alignment meaning that I need Full fast Road set-up with rear DME camber arms and front Eibach camber bolts £245.23 (EP3/DC5) to make it so the back can be aligned correctly.

#20 · (Edited)
right I think I may have mis-lead you but this is because my vehicle knowledge is basically nill. The toe is adjustable but only a bit whilst the camber is not without adding the parts I mentioned.

The civic type r ep3 which was i have is IRS whilst the FN2 model up from mine is a fixed beam. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic_Type_R

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.