Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] strut replacement

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  kendallt 
#1 ·
ok im going to have to replace a strut on a nissan sentra. i have a spring compressor but what im wondering is am i going to be able to get the center nut off the strut without an impact gun? i only have hand tools

#5 ·
Re: strut replacement

unfortunately it is not my car i can recommend it but its probly only going to be the one bent strut that is getting replaced due to lack of funds. the reason for replacing these parts is because he hit a curb and it bent the a arm and strut. i thought it was only the a arm that was bent but upon replacing the a arm i noticed the bend in the strut and this is the reason for replacing the passenger strut.

#6 ·

The nut can be tightened after replacing the strut assembly in the car, that saves struggling with the top mount and coil trying to spin around as you tighten it.
If it uses a Nyloc nut try to get it down as far as possible so it doesn't come off under pressure from the coil.

#7 ·

When removing the nuts on struts and shocks that have been in place for any length of time, it's often easier by a mile to cut the nut using a sawz-all or dremel with a cut-off wheel.
A slot cut in one side, or cut a slice off of it to all the way to the threads loosen it on the strut/shock.
99.99% of the time you get a new nut with every strut or shock, and cutting beats fighting with a frozen nut for an hour or two when you're gonna throw it away anyhow. .

#8 ·

When removing the nuts on struts and shocks that have been in place for any length of time, it's often easier by a mile to cut the nut using a sawz-all or dremel with a cut-off wheel.
A slot cut in one side, or cut a slice off of it to all the way to the threads loosen it on the strut/shock.
99.99% of the time you get a new nut with every strut or shock, and cutting beats fighting with a frozen nut for an hour or two when you're gonna throw it away anyhow. .
At our shop we would have just used a cutting torch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.