Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Automotive Support

[SOLVED] 1999 ford ranger EGR valve

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] 1999 ford ranger EGR valve within the Automotive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. HI My dad's 1999 4 cylinder Ford Ranger doesn't always start. Usually when it doesn't start, seems like you just

Old 08-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #1

HI

My dad's 1999 4 cylinder Ford Ranger doesn't always start. Usually when it doesn't start, seems like you just have to give it a couple of hours to cool down. The battery reads 12V so we know its not the battery. When this happens you simply hear a single tick upon turning the ignition key. However when we took it to auto zone they asked if the engine light was on. Since it is they hooked up the diagnostic tool which said P401 flow control valve. We bought a new EGR valve. I am unable to get the old one off. The mounting bolts came off easily, but the hose that gets screwed into it(believe it is called a EGR vacuum hose) will not break lose. Seems to be a 1 1/16 hex nut fit.

Does this connection spin free like a flare fitting, or is it solid on this steel EGR vacuum hose? If its solid I can see that I will have to disconnect the other end of the hose and snake it out. Either way it seems like it is going to take a crowfoot wrench to replace this valve.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-09-2010, 06:06 AM   #2

After replacing the EGR valve the truck started up one more time. Back to the beginning not starting with just one tick when you turn the key. Battery shows 12V. Lights stay bright when you turn the key. I think the starter may be bad after doing more research.

Could it be anything else?

Old 08-09-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
Moderator Offline

If the lights stay bright when you try to start, sounds like a bad connection to me.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #4

Turned out to be a bad starter. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:03 AM   #5
Moderator Offline

Thanks for letting us know.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote