Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Automotive Support

[SOLVED] 1988 gmc sierra - electrical

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] 1988 gmc sierra - electrical within the Automotive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a 1988 GMC Sierra 5.7L 2WD. After replacing the battery 2 weeks ago, I went to drive hhome

Old 11-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a 1988 GMC Sierra 5.7L 2WD. After replacing the battery 2 weeks ago, I went to drive hhome at night and noticed the dashlights were out. Come to find out that it was a blown fuse which included the instrument panel lights, the horn, and the parking llamps which was all on the parking lamp fuse. So I replaced the fuse, no problems. About two days later the fuse popped again. I have been told that this is most likely a short in a wire going to the tail liggts. The other possibility I've been told is the tail light circuit board (could be saying that wrong). Is there anything else I should check before I take apart 20ft of wiring looking for a short?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Moderator Automotive Center

Hi jb4e

When does the fuse blow ? Does it do it when you turn on the parking lights or when you press the horn ?

" What were dealing with is the battle between the future and the past, between the powers that were and the powers that have yet to be. " --- John Perry Barlow
octaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:26 AM   #3
Registered Member

Neither. It takes 2 or 3 days of use max before it blows.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #4

The problem is a bad switch or its connections somewhere within the tail light harness, the up and down motion of the car is causing the harness to make intermittent contact. Start off by examining the light sockets and its wires, look for corrosion and any broken connections then work your way to the switch. Do all of the testing with a DVOM set the meter for continuity and probe the ground side first, if you do get a reading on the meter start wiggling the harness until the break within the circuit happens. Take note of the positioning of your hands in relation to the meter to get a rough estimate of where the break in the wire is, open the harness up and repair it with a new connection using the same wire gage.

" What were dealing with is the battle between the future and the past, between the powers that were and the powers that have yet to be. " --- John Perry Barlow
Old 11-09-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
Registered Member

That sounds about right. The last time it went out I was driving down my gravel road. Looks like I found my job for tonight. I will update results.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
Registered Member

You were correct Octaneman. T was a bad connection where a previous owner added a trailer wiring harness. Connections have been replaced aand no blown fuse for 2 days now. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #7

Good job !