Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Automotive Support

How easy is to break the steering lock

This is a discussion on How easy is to break the steering lock within the Automotive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am a student and drive my Pakistani made Suzuki Alto VXR 2007 at my university... I'm very much afraid

Old 06-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am a student and drive my Pakistani made Suzuki Alto VXR 2007 at my university... I'm very much afraid about about car theft because my previous car was stolen from outside my house...

How easy is to break the default steering lock of my car... Is it stable...? Will it take time...? Well, I,ve also installed a steelmate car security system with remote... Will it help secure my car from getting stolen...?

Old 06-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Moderator Offline

Hi

If a thief as the time/tools and knowledge wants you car, he will get it.

They still make the "Club" :

Amazon.com: The Original Club Steering Wheel Lock - Red: Automotive

I think they are good idea in high crime areas. You can see it from the outside right away.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
Moderator Automotive Center

Hi maisam

Factory installed alarm system even from specialty shops can give a certain level of protection but to the public they are an annoyance. Certain drivers like to play with the alarm system by pressing the self test sequence over an over again, this frustrates people and they tend to ignore it even in a real emergency. This careless attitude has made the alarm system useless, but in certain countries the system brings down the cost of insurance premiums. The best defense against car theft is a ignition/fuel pump shut off switch, or a club that locks the brake pedal because the brake pedal is the strongest part of the car and extremely difficult to get access or brake it off. Do not get steering wheel clubs because those are totally useless, the steering wheel is the weakest part of a car. A professional thief can break off the steering wheel club in 3 seconds and in the 4th second is gone with your car. It is best to shop around specialty shops that deal in security they can advise you better.

Good luck !

" What were dealing with is the battle between the future and the past, between the powers that were and the powers that have yet to be. " --- John Perry Barlow
octaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Moderator Offline

Pros are not going to go after a low end car. Club is very good for the average car to protect against theft by the majority of thiefs.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basementgeek View Post
Pros are not going to go after a low end car. Club is very good for the average car to protect against theft by the majority of thiefs.

BG

Gotta disagree with you there, thieves take whatever is in high demand for the region. What we consider low end, for our friend here it's as priceless as a ferrari.

" What were dealing with is the battle between the future and the past, between the powers that were and the powers that have yet to be. " --- John Perry Barlow
Old 06-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

octaneman is right the brake pedal club is the only one i would even think of using .... the best way is also what octaneman said get someone to add a kill switch to the car
thieves are not going to get under the dash and look for some kind of wiring that was added

I remember a customer that had just bought a car and it wouldnt start came to me and i was checking it out and felt a small bump under the carpet below the brake pedal lift up the carpet and found a kill switch that you could step on with your foot and kill it like he did by mistake LOL

if your car is old enough to have the old dimmer switch on the floor board that makes a great kill switch
Old 06-05-2011, 01:23 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by octaneman
Hi maisam

Factory installed alarm system even from specialty shops can give a certain level of protection but to the public they are an annoyance. Certain drivers like to play with the alarm system by pressing the self test sequence over an over again, this frustrates people and they tend to ignore it even in a real emergency. This careless attitude has made the alarm system useless, but in certain countries the system brings down the cost of insurance premiums. The best defense against car theft is a ignition/fuel pump shut off switch, or a club that locks the brake pedal because the brake pedal is the strongest part of the car and extremely difficult to get access or brake it off. Do not get steering wheel clubs because those are totally useless, the steering wheel is the weakest part of a car. A professional thief can break off the steering wheel club in 3 seconds and in the 4th second is gone with your car. It is best to shop around specialty shops that deal in security they can advise you better.

Good luck !
Can you tell me any good brake pedal or give me its link... I had a honda civic 2009 before, and it got stolen with a steelmate Security system as well as the default steering lock given in honda cars... I was standing just behind my car and in no time it went away without any sound or noise... Even i was so upset that how was it done in no second and without opening the bonut or something....:(
Old 06-05-2011, 06:13 AM   #8

maisam

You can find one here: Amazon.com: The Club Brake Lock Vehicle Anti-Theft Device # CL 606: Automotive
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2011, 06:42 AM   #9
Automotive Team

OS: M/S Windows Vista Home Basic SP2 / Linux Ubuntu 13.10

As a shade tree mechanic I can honestly say that if somebody wants your car, they are going to get it, locks, chains or not. Right here in Virginia Beach I have seen cars with those steering and brake locks sawed in half sitting right where the car was. Or driving down the road with the alarm blaring ( cops actually look up from their paper when that happens)
the only thing you can do is either put it in a garage, or hope somebody doesn't want it more than you do.

It would seem that big Brother REALLY is watching you :)
wolfen1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by octaneman
Thanks. I hope this is unbreakable. Is it made of pure metal and will take hours to get broken...?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
Moderator Offline

If a pro wants your car, may be 20-30 seconds to remove it at most.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Old 06-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basementgeek
If a pro wants your car, may be 20-30 seconds to remove it at most.

BG
This means that there's no solution to my question i need to do something... Should I take the ignition plug with me everytime i switch off my car and going at my university...?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #13
Automotive Team

Unless they are towing cars to steal them in your part of th world, take the coil wire with ya, most car thieves will leave it if it doesn't start

Old 06-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen1086
Unless they are towing cars to steal them in your part of th world, take the coil wire with ya, most car thieves will leave it if it doesn't start
Can you please upload a picture of a coil wire and where it is located...
Old 06-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #15
Automotive Team

Its this one

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

the coil wire is the one in the center of the dist cap

Old 06-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Its this one

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

the coil wire is the one in the center of the dist cap
I do the same... I also unplug the four wires coming along frm the engine (where plugs are located)... Bt you know, there's nothing like impossible in my country... Every thief carries all car equipments with himself...
Old 06-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #17
Automotive Team

You gotta be kidding me they carry coil wires? DUDE, in that case what you need is a quick disconnect for the entire distributer and just take the whole thing in with you

Old 06-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
You gotta be kidding me they carry coil wires? DUDE, in that case what you need is a quick disconnect for the entire distributer and just take the whole thing in with you
Is that possible...? In that case, how much time will it take to dc the entire thing approx...
Old 06-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #19
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

if you want more information as to how easy it is to disable specific security devices - check out youtube. They have how to videos on this. If you google, you will also find training websites too.

the thing about car security is most people get the best security they can thinking that is what they want and when they get tired of the inconvenience, they will quit using it. Just remember, thieves may not want to get your car, but they may want the airbags, tires, catalytic converter, radio and other parts that are easily accessible and on cars in your neck of the woods.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobeit
if you want more information as to how easy it is to disable specific security devices - check out youtube. They have how to videos on this. If you google, you will also find training websites too.

the thing about car security is most people get the best security they can thinking that is what they want and when they get tired of the inconvenience, they will quit using it. Just remember, thieves may not want to get your car, but they may want the airbags, tires, catalytic converter, radio and other parts that are easily accessible.
I'm exactly not sure what are you trying to tell me... i just need to protect my car from theifs... Let me tell you a story now... My father bought me a car 2years ago.. I went to play cricket everyday near my house and park the car outside the stadium... After
Every 10-15mins I checked the car by pressing the alarm off and off(not unlocking it, so I could hear the click sound)... After 7minutes I heard a sound which sounded exactly as my cars alarm... My car was parked in the dark and after 5-7minutes when I reached over there, the car was gone... Tracker people couldn't tell the exact location of my car as well as the Police... Thanks to Allah that the car was insured and I got my 95% car value back... But what about my $1000 audio system as well as my new bridgetone tyres and this n that... I wont get them back :(

My car was secured from every possible threat... But still God knows better what happened so quickly and how... The car was stolen in front of many passersby and everyone told me that the theives acted normal as if it were their car... I got a steelmate security system(the best one in my city, dont know the serial), a china lock on the steering level panel and a brass-made clutch lock... How is this possible mann... Even if i had kept one thing wrong, but other four things were right... Im sure everything was protected as securing the car first was my daily routine...

Thats my sad story and this is the reason why I wanted something unique :(

EDIT: Sorry from spelling errors becuz Im writing from my phone :)