Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Automotive Support

HELP!!! Rattling noise I believe is coming from catalytic converter?

This is a discussion on HELP!!! Rattling noise I believe is coming from catalytic converter? within the Automotive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Like 5 months ago I got a new catalytic converter. Recently there has been some ratttling noise coming from under

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

Like 5 months ago I got a new catalytic converter. Recently there has been some ratttling noise coming from under my car. I initially thought it was coming from my hood but it was actually coming from the converter. Does anyone have an idea what this might be? Should the mechanic that installed it be responsible for repairing it?

Old 11-20-2007, 06:10 AM   #2
I helped the forums.

OS: XP-Pro Sp2 & XP-Pro Sp2 Tablet Edition, Vista Ultimate, Win 7

My System

Since a cat has no moving parts, the only thing I can think of is that a clamp has come loose. If you check them (there should be one in front and rear of the cat) and find them loose tap them as you tighten them up so that they seat correctly, there may also be a gasket in between as well.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

tap the bottom of the muffler and see if you get a rattle,one of the baffles may have broken loose
Old 11-20-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thankyou. I will do that
Old 11-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #5
Administrator
Automotive Team Manager

OS: Windows 7/Windows XP Home/Pro SP3/Windows 98SE/Fedora Core 6/RH 7.2 with Autopoint/TAMS II

Loose heat shield perhaps?

Please post all questions in the appropriate forum. Questions sent by email or PM will not be answered.
Interested in Trek gaming? Check out the Dynaverse!
Proud supporter of the Carolinas Aviation Museum - the final home of Flight 1549.
Confession might be good for the soul, but it hurts the heart like hell.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:23 PM   #6
Vetustior Humo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Tech View Post
Loose heat shield perhaps?
It's most probably this - according to Tom and Ray (LINK) the rattle is the single most common complaint they get. My car's got it too. Does it happen as you're accelerating through a specific rpm? If so, then have someone look at the heat shield and either replace it, weld it or (maybe) remove it?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
Registered Member

I had a 86 Capri that rattled ,sounded like a rod knock ,turned out one of the coverters was rattling ,the honey comb inside broke loose ,and was bouncing around inside the housing causing the noise. Might take it back where you bought the converter and ask them to check this.