Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Automotive Support

ford explorer battery light on

This is a discussion on ford explorer battery light on within the Automotive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a 1996 Ford Explorer that has had a few issues that have allready been corrected, but the one

Old 11-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a 1996 Ford Explorer that has had a few issues that have allready been corrected, but the one that I haven't got yet is, The battery light comes on and stays on. There is an amp guage on the insturment panel that indicates a charge is being made while the battery light is on. I checked the charge at the battery posts with the volt meter and it read 14.9 volts. That is a typical charge for a good Ford system. So I check all the connections at the alternator and they where all solid as well. Then I removed the alternator and took it into a local Starter/Alternator shop and Dan checked it out to be a good alternator. So I've reinstalled it and every thing is still the same. That idiot light is drivin' me nuts. the system checks out Good, and yet that darn light is on. Any Ideas, or does this sound familiar to anything here...? Ford is supposed to have better Ideas

Old 11-24-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
Moderator Automotive Center

Hi walldo

Check all your ground connections, make sure all ground connections to the chassy are not loose corroded or broken. Check your fuse box to see if there is a burnt fuse or a shorted fusible link to the alternator or starter replace as needed. If there is an external rectifier make sure the connections are not loose and it is well grounded.

post back your findings.

" What were dealing with is the battle between the future and the past, between the powers that were and the powers that have yet to be. " --- John Perry Barlow
octaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hey Octaneman, Thanks for gettin' back to me. I will check all the above you mentioned. When I had it up in the air I did see factory ground straps everywhere, some of them cruddier than others. I'm not sure where I'd be finding an external rectifier. What, or where would it be associated in the system..? I'll get back and let you know what's discovered, thanks...
Old 11-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
Registered Member

Everthing is built in that alternator.What you describe is very common in Ford alternators and it's usually at fault even though it's charging "almost" normally.As said you can ck fuses and connections but you'll most likely end up replacing it
Old 12-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hello guys!

The sounds like the alternator or something with the charging system. It usually keeps the truck running not the battery, so if your alt is bad then your fuel pump and everything else cant get power to keep fuel to the motor causing the stalling. hoe that helps,pull it out and take it to auto zone or something like that and have it tested
Old 12-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

I also think it's the alt. If it's not outputting properly it won't charge the battery sufficiently thus causing the warning light.

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
ebackhus is offline   Reply With Quote