Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Automotive Support

dodge 46re transmission problems

This is a discussion on dodge 46re transmission problems within the Automotive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have had my 1999 dodge ram slt 5.2L(318) for five years now and I have rebuilt my tranny (46re)

Old 12-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have had my 1999 dodge ram slt 5.2L(318) for five years now and I have rebuilt my tranny (46re) twice. I thought everything was fine until tonight. I left work and started to pass a slow *** ford on a staight away when I punched the gas my trucks rpms jumped to 3500 and within a second of the rpms jumping up my transmission jarred the truck when it downshifted. The last rebuild I performed I found that the 3rd and 4th shift spool valve had been sticking in the valve body. The clutch packs were not burned but i replaced the clutch packs and new master seal kit and new torque converter. I started thinking it might be a valve sticking in valve body, but I am now thinking it may be farther in the transmission. ANY HELP FROM ANYBODY WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!! I am about ready to use this dodge as a boat anchor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:59 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olemiss74 View Post
I am about ready to use this dodge as a boat anchor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First, take a few deep breaths, no one can think straight when they are upset...................

While you are doing that I'll tell you what I found.......

I searched for, "1999 dodge ram tranny (46re) problems". If you use this link and go to the sites I checked, the ones in purple, not blue 1999+dodge+ram++tranny
You will find most of the problems seem to deal with valve bodies.
There are references to TSB bulletins.

Does your truck have a tranny oil cooler?, there is even a reference to a sticking check ball in the line that feeds this cooler.

I apologize for not been able to give you a definitive answer, but trannies were the one item I always shopped out, or now a days it might be just as economical to replace with rebuilt.

Steve

Old 12-03-2008, 07:11 AM   #3
Administrator
TSF Manager

Hi olemiss74,

What speed were you traveling and what gear did the tranny shift to??

I presume you have the tech manual for your tranny?? Why was a rebuild needed??

With the number of parts/components in an automatic tranny I don't know how someone can attempt to rebuild one w/o the correct manual. If you don't have one I suggest trying here:

http://www.atsg.biz/cgi-bin/shopper....26pricecode%3D

There is also a troubleshooting guide and techtricks (most often).

SABL
Old 12-03-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
Administrator
TSF Manager

Hi skyjd,

Good advice....automatic trannies are nothing to tinker with. Just too many parts, and close observation and attention to detail are a must. I never attempt any major repairs w/o the tech manual.

The problem with olemiss74's tranny can even be misadjusted linkage from the removal and replacement process....or even bent/binding cables. Maybe he can provide more detail.

Thanks for the links!!
SABL
Old 12-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABL View Post
Hi skyjd,

Good advice....automatic trannies are nothing to tinker with. Just too many parts, and close observation and attention to detail are a must. I never attempt any major repairs w/o the tech manual.

The problem with olemiss74's tranny can even be misadjusted linkage from the removal and replacement process....or even bent/binding cables. Maybe he can provide more detail.

Thanks for the links!!
SABL
Your Welcome!

My only experience with trannies was back in the 60's, 'ol Warner T-10, I believe the mechanics called them "Stonecrusher", and then I never went farther than replacing a few Input shaft's/bearings, the occasional busted shift fork, or leaky seals.

I agree, misadjusted linkage, cables, the TV rod that connects the Carb/FI to the tranny are crucial details.

I await in anticipation , for olemiss74's return...........

Steve
Old 12-03-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
Registered Member

First of all, thank yall for answering my question! Definitely Appreciated! To answer the questions posted, the first tranny (the original one) the 3rd and 4th gear clutch pack was burned up. I tore into it and eventually I purchased a boneyard special (I know it was a big mistake). I drove "BERTHA"(the name my little ones gave her) for another 15,000 miles. one day i was going down the road and i began to see white smoke, i stopped and notice it was coming from the front of the tranny where it bolted up to the engine. I pulled it again and found the problem was the 3rd and 4th shift valve had been sticking in the valve body. I bought a master seal and clutch pack kit and I used the good 3 and 4 shift valve from the original tranny. I pressure checked each clutch pack set before i put it all back together as i always do on any tranny i have rebuilt. I drove it for maybe 5000 miles then last night i left the dealership and as i began to pass a truck i pressed down on the gas and suppose to downshift but the rpms jumped to 3500 and hesitated then jarred itself into gear and i mean jarred the whole friggin truck. I can tear into any tranny, engine, transaxle, or differential, find what is wrong and fix it for any customer i have had, but this is getting ridiculous! I already earlier tonight, drove "BERTHA" through the used chevy c1500 and k1500 isle at the dealership to see if she would get the hint, but I dont think it worked! Again i THANK YALL for your help! Please let me know if yall need any help with a problem anytime i will do what i can to answer!
Old 12-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
Registered Member

Im back! I think we can close out the problem with BERTHA (dodge ram). I pulled the tranny this afternoon and I took a look in the valve body to see if one of the spool valves was damaged. I also was beginning the process of tearing down the tranny and I stopped(why I dont know) to check the kickdown band adjustment because the adjustment can be made with the tranny together. I found that the kickdown band was out of adjustment and the 3rd 4th shift valve once again was damaged. I just wanted to let yall know I again appreciate the help I received from you guys.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
Administrator
Automotive Team Manager

OS: Windows 7/Windows XP Home/Pro SP3/Windows 98SE/Fedora Core 6/RH 7.2 with Autopoint/TAMS II

Leaving this on standby before calling it [Resolved]....want to be sure that got you running again!

Please post all questions in the appropriate forum. Questions sent by email or PM will not be answered.
Interested in Trek gaming? Check out the Dynaverse!
Proud supporter of the Carolinas Aviation Museum - the final home of Flight 1549.
Confession might be good for the soul, but it hurts the heart like hell.
Midnight Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #9
Registered Member

so far so good. bertha's running pretty good, but i have a question for everybody, one of my teachers that taught me in tech school and I was talking the other day and he asked me if i knew what the camel humps on a gm v8 engine meant? I didnt have the first clue and he didnt explain (i think he wanted me to ponder on it awhile) im probably asking a stupid question but i have always asked questions stupid or not because that is the way i have learned what i know today. this is not a pressing question to get a vehicle running but i have got to know what the humps are for.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #10
Administrator
TSF Manager

Might be long before your time.... double hump heads.... also known as power pack heads. GM produced their first OHV V8 in 1955... it was a 265ci engine. I am more familiar with the 283ci which came into being in 1957. The double hump heads were used on the 283 220HP. Not a bad engine in those days... I thrashed a few friends with my 283.

The double humps still survive today....I have a pair in my garage. The premium ones have a 64cc combustion chamber and 2.02 intakes .... old tech but still viable for performance.

You won't find them on bertha....but maybe find the superior hemispherical heads. The GM is a wedge head....the spark is fired to one side. The Hemi is fired in the center of the combustion chamber and is more efficient.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #11
Administrator
TSF Manager

Tell teacher he is showing his age..... those heads are over 50yrs old. If he mentions it again just ask "you mean the old power packs?". I grew up with them and not only have a pair in the garage, I have a pair in my family room. They are waiting to be placed on a 355 (350 bored .030 over) that is sitting an an engine stand in my garage. I haven't made my mind up on the camshaft and which application I wish to use it for....I have options.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #12
Administrator
TSF Manager

I just caught on to the "stupid question" part of your post.... you have not posed a stupid question. Your question is very valid....when it comes to stupidity, leave that to me.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #13
Administrator
TSF Manager

WAIT!!

Like I said, leave stoopid to me. The camel hump heads were on the 327ci engines and are compatable with 350ci engines..... actually with any small block Chevy. The 327 came out somewhere around 1962.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:21 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
so far so good. bertha's running pretty good,
olemiss, that’s great to hear! Keep an eye on her.

Quote:
but i have a question for everybody, one of my teachers that taught me in tech school and I was talking the other day and he asked me if i knew what the camel humps on a gm v8 engine meant? I didnt have the first clue and he didnt explain (i think he wanted me to ponder on it awhile) im probably asking a stupid question but i have always asked questions stupid or not because that is the way i have learned what i know today. this is not a pressing question to get a vehicle running but i have got to know what the humps are for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SABL View Post
Tell teacher he is showing his age..... those heads are over 50yrs old. If he mentions it again just ask "you mean the old power packs?". I grew up with them and not only have a pair in the garage, I have a pair in my family room. They are waiting to be placed on a 355 (350 bored .030 over) that is sitting an an engine stand in my garage. I haven't made my mind up on the camshaft and which application I wish to use it for....I have options.
olemiss, SABL is absolutely right.
I had a set on my ’68 Chevy Biscayne, memory serves me correctly; the heads I took off had one point like a pyramid? Diamond heads?

Well…….I bought the “camelbacks” yea, that’s what we called them, from a buddy at work, 50 bucks….took a weekend installing them.
We have a 1/8 mile track nearby, and she’d hold her own with 350 chevells, and stang’s
Oh! And the occasional 396.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:52 AM   #15
Administrator
TSF Manager

skydj,

Yep, the little pyramid marking was the indicator for the "power pack" heads. Those were the upgrade heads on the 265s/283s but were the low end for the 327s.

Many different markings were used back then to indicate the various heads that were used...... including vertical rectangles for the fuel injected engines. I think the 283FI was rated at 270HP.

Today's markings I have no clue.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #16
Registered Member

Ah....The good 'ol days....In a pinch, remember when you could set the points with a matchbook cover?

If Midnight Tech wants to close, I'm in agreement...

olemiss74; I'll keep you, your family, and Bertha in my prayers.

Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!
Steve
Old 12-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #17
Administrator
TSF Manager

I agree that MT can (and should ) close this thread or Steve and I will keep it going for a long time.

I haven't seen a matchbook for ages..... but used many of them!!
Old 12-09-2008, 01:31 PM   #18
Registered Member

Awww..... just, one more?...

You feller's can PM me if you like.....

Who was that masked man??....

Via Con Dios
Steve
Old 12-09-2008, 08:03 PM   #19
Registered Member

after a little more time I have watched her checked her fluid and kept a sheet under her to see if any leaks were present. Nothing has happened (knock on wood). I do thank all of yall for the info on the camel humps. I told my teacher the next day I quote" so are you talking about the power packs", he just sighed and asked me where i heard that. I will not lie to him or anyone else because the truth will come out (and i have a very big concious). I explained to him about this website www.techsupportforum.com and my ongoing parade of questions that i will ask about the things that guys who have been doing this work for more years than i can remember. My philosophy is if you have knowledge about the one thing that i am so passionate about (cars and trucks) that i figure if i can learn everything that yall know that when it is your time to see the pearly gates the knowledge that is in yalls head about cars and trucks will be passed on to someone that will cherish every story and every piece of info and put it to good use.I tell him all the time that you will not need that info when you arent walking the earth anymore and that info will go with you to your grave and the info will be know good anymore. So if i ask questions about something to yall that may seem simple I am asking yall because i do not know and when yall answer my stupid questions I write them down in notebooks and keep them in my toolboxes at work so yalls world of knowledge that I get is at my fingertips.

I appreciate each and every answer and i am very glad i have found this website!!!!!!!!!

I hope each and everyone of yall and your families
HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!
Ohhhh yea by the way I am sure I will be burning the keyboard up with a lot more questions!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #20
Registered Member

What do yall mean when you can set the points with a matchbook cover? never heard of this. I do set the distributor by ear( or should I say I have just recently learned how to listen to the engine and adjust the distributor within a couple of degrees of being right on the money). I cannot always do this but I am learning it will take a few more times to be decent at it.