Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Automotive Support

98 Dodge Ram Oil Pressure drops to 0 off and on??

This is a discussion on 98 Dodge Ram Oil Pressure drops to 0 off and on?? within the Automotive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Long time reader, first time posting and using the site...I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500, 2wd 5.2L engine 109k

Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

Long time reader, first time posting and using the site...I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500, 2wd 5.2L engine 109k miles....Recently while Driving my oil pressure gauge will randomly drop to 0 and then back to center. I replaced the oil pressure switch and I thought it was fixed but it came back. When it drops to 0 nothing changes, no sounds, no temparture...Nothing.... I am sorta mechanically sound but because of the economy I was forced to sell off my tools. I dont know what to do, if its electrical do I ignore it. Seen other people dropping the oil pan and putting new oil pumps in? WHAT DO I DO....Im on a unemploymet budget.. Sell the problem???? HELP PLEASE??

Old 02-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Moderator Offline

Hi and welcome to TSF

The true way to check is with a good old fashion mechnical oil pressure guage.

Does not sound like an engine problem though, unless it is way low on the dip stick.

Are you having any problems with any other dash guages going back and forth?

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
Registered Member

Its just the oil pressure gauge.... It goes to zero.... The oil is fine and was recently changed
Old 02-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Moderator Offline

Again, the only real way to check is a direct pressure guage.

If that is OK, got be the sending unit, the guage or some are computer controlled I am told.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Automotive Team

Some are Octane , but trucks are supposed to be off of a sending unit.
Personally my thing is if you go through the trouble of hooking up a real gage install it permanently, like I did in the wrangler

Hampton Roads Virginia, I've been around the rock three times and this place was NOT on my top ten list of places to live
wolfen1086 is offline   Reply With Quote