Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Automotive Support

'98 Chevy S-10 Starting/Throttle Problem

This is a discussion on '98 Chevy S-10 Starting/Throttle Problem within the Automotive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am having a problem with my 1998 Chevy S-10 4.3l V6/4x2 The problem started without any warning when I

Old 11-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I am having a problem with my 1998 Chevy S-10 4.3l V6/4x2

The problem started without any warning when I turned it off and it wouldn't start back up. I had it towed it to a friend's house. I sprayed ether and it started up and stayed running well for a week.

Today it happened again. I shut off the truck and it wouldn't start back up again. I tried ether again and now it starts but won't go above an idle.

While its running I can hear a loud vacuum noise from the top of the throttle opening (the back side top). When I stick my finger down in the hole (don't know what it's called but it's a throttle port on top of the engine) the idle smooths out. When I take my finger out it idles roughly again and stalls out.

Any thoughts on what it might be, what I might check?

Old 11-13-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
Moderator Automotive Center

Hi skippydoodle

Check for any engine codes and please post them. What you attempted to do is to "choke" the engine, but instead of stalling the rpm's increased. This indicates a vacuum leak or the IAC motor is stuck in the open position. Remove the IAC ( Idle Air Control) motor and clean any carbon deposits that are on it. Then you will have to test the IAC motor to see if the plunger moves in and out or if it has a dead spot by using a DVOM.

Hook up a fuel pressure tester and check your fuel system, make sure it's got adequate pressure and that the fuel filter isn't blocked, if it is replace as needed.

post back your findings.

" What were dealing with is the battle between the future and the past, between the powers that were and the powers that have yet to be. " --- John Perry Barlow
octaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Registered Member

It's fixed!

It turned out to be something simple and it is a little embarrassing, but to resolve this thread I need to fess up. It was the fuel filter. I didn't check it because the truck ran great before it wouldn't start the other day.

It just goes to show that the simplest answer is usually the right answer.