Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Automotive Support

97 lincoln town car looses power

This is a discussion on 97 lincoln town car looses power within the Automotive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. this is a bit difficult to explain on my ride home last night my car started to lose power the

Old 09-10-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

this is a bit difficult to explain on my ride home last night my car started to lose power the more i put my foot into the gas the more it did not want to go there was a heavy lean knock from the engine. it got so bad i could not keep the car moving i had to pull over 3 times because i could not keep the car moving there just was no power. upon pulling over each time i held my foot to the floor on the gas for the first few seconds there was no reaction then it slowly began to rev up until it got so far and then it revved freely again the power would come back for a few min and i could drive a bit farther but a few min later the problem would start again first losing power until it would not go anymore and i had to repeat this proses 3 times to make it home last night. what is wrong with my car? as of now since i got home it seems to be running right but im a bit afraid of it and don't think its over. im afraid its gonna start to do this again on my way to work.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
Moderator Offline

Any type of check engine light?

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:35 AM   #3
Registered Member

no check engine light at all not even when it begins losing power the light does light up when the cars off and key in on position but not lit while driving.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

It would be helpful if you could get a scan tool on it. There might be codes that don't turn on the check engine light. Plus, you can look at live data and maybe spot the problem.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
Registered Member

the best i can get is a walmart better obd2 scanner the ones that display the issue on screen and i wont have access to that untill the weekend when a buddy of mine stops by.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

It sounds like Engine Management/Fuel - does it have a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) plug fitted into the intake manifold ?

If so, then removing/refitting the electrical plug can resolve a bad connection which can cause anomalous problems and can be done with the engine running or not.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
Registered Member

i drove it to work and home today a about 70 mile round trip it drove perfectly today not a hiccup the whole trip.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
Moderator Offline

Any chance you got some bad gas?

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote