Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Automotive Support

95 chevy 5.7 Will not start

This is a discussion on 95 chevy 5.7 Will not start within the Automotive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. 95 chevy 1 ton 12 pass van 5.7 I have spark.I removed the cap to see if the rotor will

Old 12-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

95 chevy 1 ton 12 pass van 5.7
I have spark.I removed the cap to see if the rotor will spin to see if the timing chain was broke.It turns.I smell fuel.Gave it a shot of ether nothing.Turns over just fine.Put some fuel down the t body nothing.Only code is 44 and 45 oxygen sensor high/low.I cant believe that would cause it to not fire.
What am i over looking.Thanks.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
Moderator Automotive Center

Hi Jimispeed

Check compression on all cylinders if compression varies between cylinders perform a leak down test.

Question: Does gas spew out from the intake while cranking ?

post back your findings.

" What were dealing with is the battle between the future and the past, between the powers that were and the powers that have yet to be. " --- John Perry Barlow
octaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

No to the gas.I will do a compression test.This van ran like a champ when i shut it off last.It only has 150k miles.
With goood spark is should of at least poped with fuel down the t body.It is acting like the spark timing is off.Will report back.Thanks
Old 12-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Registered Member

I am smelling fuel out of the exhaust pipe.I did try to start it after work today.I just had to.I still plan to finish testing this van.My plans are to bring it up to tdc and check the rotor for # one plug.I am also going to turn the balancer and see how for it moves compared to the rotor for slack in the chain.Lastly compression test.As they say there are many roads to chicago.I will figure this out.I really wanted it to be gas line freeze as this van is a ministry vehicle for my church.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

Did chevy have bad camshafts on the 350 in 95?
Old 12-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #6

I'm not sure on the 95's but the 98's wore out the cam bearings. If you hear backfiring in your engine on both the intake and exhaust that is a sign of a bad camshaft that needs replacing.

" What were dealing with is the battle between the future and the past, between the powers that were and the powers that have yet to be. " --- John Perry Barlow
Old 12-25-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
Registered Member

Compression is 100.Now when i remove #1 spark pulg and put my finger over the hole and turn the key,it seems to have 4 compression strokes.Not intake, power, compression,and exhaust.Also the rotor is at #1 when all this happens all 4 times.I guess i will look at the rockers and see if they move at all.I really was convinced it was the timing chain.I put a new one on and it has no change.The old chain did have play in it.When i turn it over it has a strange sound like a small gong as it spins over.I will keep pluging away at this bugger.Thanks again, i will report back.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:33 AM   #8
Administrator
TSF Manager

The rotor remains at #1 and does not move??
Old 12-26-2010, 05:18 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABL View Post
The rotor remains at #1 and does not move??
No,It turns.Every time the piston comes to the top of the stroke the rotor hits the # 1, as it should be.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:26 AM   #10
Administrator
TSF Manager

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f155...rt-321485.html

Review the thread above.....pay attention to post #2 and post #5. I corrected my instructions in post #5.

Just follow the thread til we get into the injectors......unless you want to get into some extra reading.....
Old 12-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
Registered Member

Really dont know what to do.Everything seems to be in order.Have fuel i can see it spray when i try to start it.Have spark.The rotor is in line with # 1 spark plug wire when the h.b.is at 0 tdc..Rockers move i have the valve cover off. What am i missing??????
Old 12-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #12

On one of your posts you said that compression is at 100 p.s.i, for a 5.7 that is awfully low. Please re-do the compression test by removing all spark plugs, disconnect the fuel pump or injector plug then connect the gage to the cylinder. Have an assistant crank the engine three revolutions with the gas pedal to the floor, this will give the maximum air intake. Record your findings to all cylinders and please post them, you will do this both wet and dry cylinders. This means that after you do the first compression test the second test will be by adding a little oil to the cylinders, this will verify if you are losing compression from the rings or the valves.

post back your findings.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:34 PM   #13
Registered Member

Ok i can do that.One other question.Can the ecm somehow not let this run?I dont know what this ecm controlls.I know this computer system works the t-body injection.Thanks
Old 12-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #14

The answer is yes. The ECM controls all engine functions, it uses information gathered from all the sensors and then compares it with its PROM programming to give optimum settings. You can find computers embedded everywhere in the car these days, there are computers for engine, abs, body control module (BCM's), a/c systems, you name it. All incorporate one thing which is to communicate with one another via bus line.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:09 AM   #15
Registered Member

Vary true,however this is old technology.From what i understand compared to the new cars this computer doesn't do much.If i have time later on today i will list the compression.