Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Automotive Support

94 Mercury transmission problems

This is a discussion on 94 Mercury transmission problems within the Automotive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, i have a 94 Mercury Topaz with the 2.3 litre 4 banger in it. I am having transmission problems.

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, i have a 94 Mercury Topaz with the 2.3 litre 4 banger in it.

I am having transmission problems. The Car wont shift into second until it reaches 5 grand, or until it reaches about 45 mph. and it wont shift into 3rd. Its really messed up. It didnt do this until i cranked into a aprking lot when i was racing my friend. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Thanls i aprreciate the help. I still drive the car even though it is messed. It has an automatic transmission.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:36 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus, Gearheads & Networking Team

Sound like it may be a problem with a vacuum modulator or vacuum line to the modulator if this car has one.

Vacuum modulator regulates the main transmission pressure to cause shifts to be delayed and firmer based upon engine manifold vacuum.

There is also a govener in most automatics as well.

But with the comment about racing, any sort of damage is possible!

JamesO

Old 02-02-2006, 03:50 AM   #3
Registered Member

Ever had the tranny filter changed?
Old 02-12-2006, 04:57 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carkiller94
Hi, i have a 94 Mercury Topaz with the 2.3 litre 4 banger in it.

I am having transmission problems. The Car wont shift into second until it reaches 5 grand, or until it reaches about 45 mph. and it wont shift into 3rd. Its really messed up. It didnt do this until i cranked into a aprking lot when i was racing my friend. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Thanls i aprreciate the help. I still drive the car even though it is messed. It has an automatic transmission.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:10 PM   #5
Registered Member

well I wrote detailed instructions, supplied link to part, and accidently closed the #\^%@# window. It's an easy fix, Your lucky it's this Car, I've got 23 yrs as Transmission builder, and grew up in my fathers Transmission shop, which He opened after designing Transmissions for Chrysler for 15 yrs. I Don't normally throw that out there, but would like to help, would not like to type all that again. email me You'll be on the road in no time. http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...=&Store_Code=2
ah yes notepad, here's the part. check TSB's probably go earlier on the model year, ford bribes their way out of fixing this kind of stuff, so TSB's end, problems don't. Thanks GW