Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Automotive Support

2000 Malibu cooling fan won'T turn on

This is a discussion on 2000 Malibu cooling fan won'T turn on within the Automotive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I've Been having problem with my 3.1L, overheating. The cooling fan isn't coming on but if I disconnect the

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi.

I've Been having problem with my 3.1L, overheating. The cooling fan isn't coming on but if I disconnect the sensor it will the temp gauge will come down and the car won't overheat, howerver the check engine light will come on and the transmission will engage really hard. My mechanic replaced the coolant, rad cap, thermostat, temp sensor and fan still not coming on engine still overheating?!

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 08-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Automotive Team Manager

OS: Windows 7/Windows XP Home/Pro SP3/Windows 98SE/Fedora Core 6/RH 7.2 with Autopoint/TAMS II

Check the cooling fan relay - sounds like it's not working.

Please post all questions in the appropriate forum. Questions sent by email or PM will not be answered.
Interested in Trek gaming? Check out the Dynaverse!
Proud supporter of the Carolinas Aviation Museum - the final home of Flight 1549.
Confession might be good for the soul, but it hurts the heart like hell.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

If the fan comes on when you disconnect the sensor, then you know the relay works. You have a command problem. To diagnose this correctly, you need to have a scan tool plugged in, and see when the temp climbs high enough, if the PCM requests the fan to come on. If the request is there, but command never happens, then you have a bad PCM. Another thing to watch is for a blown head gasket. Coolant sensors cannot read correctly if there is air in the system. A blown head hasket will pump air into the cooling system, causing erratic gauge readings, and eventually overheat.