Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Automotive Support

1993 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 Gas coming out of exhaust.

This is a discussion on 1993 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 Gas coming out of exhaust. within the Automotive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been drviing for a couple weeks with no problems. Started it up yesterday and smelled gas, began looking and

Old 06-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

I've been drviing for a couple weeks with no problems. Started it up yesterday and smelled gas, began looking and smoke was coming from exhaust. My first thought was blown head gasket and watter evap coming out. I checked it is gas I checked the FPR by undoing the vacume house and no gas coming out of nipple. Any other ideas before i take it apart and order head gasket set, someone said a tuck open valve whic i hope not i dont wanted to take it down to the head.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
GIGO

Well, if you are going to replace the head gasket the head would be have to come off. But I don't see why you would default to thinking a blown head gasket is the problem. More likely it is something in the fuel delivery or emission controls systems that is creating an over rich condition. Hopefully someone here will have an idea where to start dx'ing. Any engine codes?

Old 06-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
Moderator Automotive Center

Hi thebear219

When is the gas smell more prevalent, is it during initial start-up or when the engine is hot ?

" What were dealing with is the battle between the future and the past, between the powers that were and the powers that have yet to be. " --- John Perry Barlow
octaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
Registered Member

o2 sensor, stuck injector(s), will result in over rich conditions. You will normally smell this when standing near car, and often see it in the form of dark smoke.
Plugs not firing will send fuel out the exhaust.
Both conditions also tend to put fuel in the crank case, so smell your oil.

A worn timing chain will also do it. contrary to 'Known facts' computers and tensioners can not compensate for a worn out chain, all they can do is mask it for a while by manipulating spark timing, they can't adjust actual valve timing.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

o2 sensor will not cause a flooding prob in the exhaust like that
a stuck injector or a coolant sensor that is saying it is - 20 deg will tell the injectors to stay open longer to let more fuel in the engine
you can use a stethoscope and see if you hear the injectors clicking while it is running
a scanner will tell you if the coolant sensor is at the right temp and it can tell you the width of the injectors
Old 06-11-2011, 01:05 AM   #6
Registered Member

O2 sensors can and do fail in a 'lean' mode, which causes the computer to increase fuel.
It's one of the most commonly noticed failures because the symptoms are pretty obvious, the smell of fuel and a drop in mileage being the main ones.

TTORA - Oxygen Sensor Test - Faq
The first thing to do is to examine the sensor. The tip should be clean and gray. If it's very black and sooty, you've been running rich and that may be the reason your CE light is on. This can become a vicious cycle with the ECU, engine and O2 sensor. The O2 sensor gets a little sooty from running rich and causes the output of the sensor to drop so the ECU makes the engine even richer causing more soot to build up on the sensor. If you have a lot of soot on the sensor, just brush it off of the outside of the sensor tip and proceed the test will most likely clean the rest off. If the sensor tip is white looking you have probably used silicone somewhere that is not sensor safe and the sensor has been poisoned.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dead O2 sensor. This is a sensor that has failed for any number of reasons. It produces no voltage, remembering low voltage = lean signal (L=L). The computer responded with a rich command. Solution? Replace the O2 sensor and look for the reason for the failure.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

ken.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
Registered Member

Ok i was possiably thinking a stuck open valve not just head gasket sorry didnt say that on my first post. Anyway i got the codes they were 513 Intral voltage failre PCM ; 157 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor below minimum voltage ; 158 MAF Sensonr above maximum voltage ; last 176 systems indicates lean bank #2
Old 06-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
Registered Member

depends on what type of MAF sensor you have, but being a 93 ford I'd say it was the hot wire type. these operate by pasing a current through the wire to make it hot, then a computer calculates how much air is going into the engine by determining how much current it takes to maintain temp.
issue is that many airborne particles 'bake' onto the wire, insulating it and causing false readings, clean it out by removing it and spraying it with carb cleaner, or placing the tip in a small comtainer with a solvent. DO NOT try to brush it or scrape it, it's pretty delicate. On fords, they're are held in with safety torx fasteners, that have a pin in the center, so you need the right driver (or can break the pin with a screw driver and use a regular torx.

With the lean condition, I'd check the O2 sensors, and do a compression check before messing with the heads.

If a valve is stuck, you'll know it because you can hear them.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
Registered Member

Ok i smelld the oil and sure enough it smells like gas. Any suggestions?
Old 06-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
Registered Member

Ok gas is coming from the tail pipe and the oil does smell and I believe have a small amount of gas in it. Was told on previous post its the timing that is more than likely off. Had to repost I updated and no responses.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #11
Registered Member

hey i was wondering if you had found the problem or fixed it because i have the exact same issuse, im having fuel coming outta my exhaust and i ran some codes and i got a MAF voltage high and a pcm failure, my main thought ive been having is i have a stuck fuel injector open, i have a 1993 ford explorer 4.0 v6 which is basically the same as the ranger, i would apprciately greatly if you can reply back soon thank you.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #12
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Check the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator valve, if the diaphragm in the valve breaks it'll suck fuel through the hose into the intake manifold.

The PCM failure code would also be a concern, as it may be holding the injectors open and the mass airflow sensor also plays a big part in the amount of fuel the pcm thinks the engine needs, does the motor run?
Wrench97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:02 AM   #13
Registered Member

yeah the motor runs and i checked every spark plug also and it seems that only the driver side 3 have gas on them but when i turn the engine on it seems like it has like no power
Old 12-05-2011, 04:40 AM   #14
Registered Member

I took an ohm meter and checked my fuel injectors and sure enough the one closest to the front on the passenger side was bad
Old 12-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #15
Registered Member

I'd also be checking the MAF sensor connector harness. Ford had a repair kit for those. The bad injector sounds feasible, but likely it would be mechanically stuck partly open or leaking.