Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Automotive Support

1992 chevy 350 problems

This is a discussion on 1992 chevy 350 problems within the Automotive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a 350 chev motor in my speed boat and I have replaced the ring gear starter motor shimed.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a 350 chev motor in my speed boat and I have replaced the ring gear starter motor shimed.
Timing is correct.
The starter will kick back even when there is no spark.
How do I keep the starter ingaged to continue to turn the motor over and over with spark removed from the eginition system.
The starter will engage and turn the engin 1/2 turn to a full turn and disingage.
This is becoming verying frustrating.
Help

Old 04-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Moderator Automotive Center

Hi gregrae

2 Questions.

1)How do you start the engine with a key or a push switch ?

2) How long a duration do you want the starter to spin are you performing diagnostics or do you want the starter to spin continuously?

" What were dealing with is the battle between the future and the past, between the powers that were and the powers that have yet to be. " --- John Perry Barlow
octaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:23 AM   #3
Registered Member

I use a Key start.
I would like the starter to rotate the engin at least 5 times without dropping out.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #4

Check the battery make sure its fully charged before you attempt a restart. Do a load test on to verify its condition, if it doesn't pass the load test replace the battery.

After the battery is verified hook up an ammeter to the starter cable see how many amperes the starter draws. If it draws too much replace the starter.

Re-check the shims to the starter it could be that its seating to low and the bendix is jamming on the flywheel. Does the starter make a metallic grinding sound when it spins ?

One other point to see is if your engine is hydro locking, too much fuel or a leaky head gasket will jam the pistons before it reaches TDC. Spin the engine by hand with spark plugs removed does it turn normally ? Turn the key over only this time without the spark plugs installed does the starter spin the engine ?

" What were dealing with is the battle between the future and the past, between the powers that were and the powers that have yet to be. " --- John Perry Barlow
Old 04-10-2012, 02:10 AM   #5
Registered Member

What current would you expect from the starter motor.
Thank for your assistance on this matter,
I will inform you of my findings.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #6

For a chevy 350 engine the average is 350-400 amps check your spec sheet for your model.