Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Automotive Support

1990 Chevy Truck Idle Problem

This is a discussion on 1990 Chevy Truck Idle Problem within the Automotive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I Have another trivia for you guys. My truck will not go slow. If you give it the tiniest amount

Old 06-26-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

I Have another trivia for you guys. My truck will not go slow. If you give it the tiniest amount of gas at low speeds it wants to die. If it starts to die and you leave off the gas it will idle it self back up. On the interstate or driving normal it's fine. Here is what I have checked or changed. The IAC has been changed. The throttle body has been changed. Complete tune-up. It is coding map sensor but that has also been switched. Any ideas.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
Registered Member

have you checked over your oxygen sensor?

Old 07-02-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Registered Member

what size motor is in it?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #4
Registered Member

Vaccum leak could be causing problem. It would also cause a code for Map sensor voltage to high.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
Registered Member

Okay thanks for the input. Here are your answers the motor is a 5.7 350. The oxygen sensor has already been changed. I have looked around for Vaccum leaks but can't find any is there a spot that you can think I might want to focus on. This truck is driving me nuts. I call it Christine because things just seem to happen and we can't find an expanation.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #6
Registered Member

does it still do this on a cold start and before you actually have to drive anywhere?
dual exhaust with dual catalytic converters? or a single catalylic converter?

if you have one, then maybe you could try to disconnect it in front of the 'cat, then run it and see if it still does this, if it runs great (loud of course) then it could be your 'cat.

OR, bang your 'cat converter some, to knock some of the debris loose, and run it and see if that changes the pitch any
Old 07-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
Registered Member

You can focus around the intake manifold. around the throttle body and for any cracks in the vaccum lines running to the firewall or brake booster. Its sometimes hard to see or hear a vacumm leak. I my self will sometimes use a small spray of carb cleaner around any area were a vaccum leak may be. When you spray carb cleaner on a vaccum leak the engine ruff idle will sometimes clear up or cause the engine to run worse. it is normally noticeable if that carb cleaner is being sucked into the engine through a vaccum leak. BUT BE VERY CAREFULL WHERE YOUR SPRAYING. CARB CLEANER IS VERY FLAMMABLE!!!! DONT USE TO MUCH. JUST A LIGHT SPRAY.

One other thing you can look at is the engine coolant temp sensor. Chevy small blocks and 4.3 liters are bad for running ruff when the sensor is reading wrong. Need to make sure what the engine temp sensor says is the actuall temp of the engine.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
Registered Member

The truck will start right up and idle smooth for a couple minutes then you will hear it start to miss. The main problem is when it is gear and you are driving slow like out my driveway or in traffic. It will start to spit and sputter if you touch the gas peddle slightly. If you try like to hold the brake and give a little gas so it won't stall it works the opposite then it will definitely stall. If you let off the gas completely it will idle back up but still has a miss. The catalylic converter is hollowed out. I will try spraying the cleaner to find a leak. I already also tried the coolant sensor it has been changed.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:07 AM   #9
Registered Member

have you checked to see if the egr valve is stuck open. It will cause a rough idle at low rpms. would cause a stall when you first hit the accelerator. there should be no vaccum at idle going to the egr valve. if there is could be the egr valve solenoid. If there is no vaccum, while the engine is cool see if the plunger inside the egr valve is functioning. On that model you should be able to move the plunger inside the egr valve from the small opening on the outside. its should move up and down and you may hear a sucking sound because its a vaccum diaphram that lifts the plunger.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #10
Registered Member

Well guys thanks for your input but I believe I finally figured it out. Knock on wood. The vacuum line from the egr valve was on the wrong thing on the map sensor. I feel like an idiot. All that aggrevation for 1 simple little thing. Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
Administrator
Automotive Team Manager

OS: Windows 7/Windows XP Home/Pro SP3/Windows 98SE/Fedora Core 6/RH 7.2 with Autopoint/TAMS II

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENSPORT View Post
I feel like an idiot.
Please don't call yourself that - we all have things that throw us off like that.

Please post all questions in the appropriate forum. Questions sent by email or PM will not be answered.
Interested in Trek gaming? Check out the Dynaverse!
Proud supporter of the Carolinas Aviation Museum - the final home of Flight 1549.
Confession might be good for the soul, but it hurts the heart like hell.
Midnight Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #12
Registered Member

hey i've searched for hours more than once because of a simple wire not being connected. i get in a rush ( mostly because people think stuff should be done yesterday) and it ends up taking longer.

Bud.