Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Automotive Support

1990 Chevy 1500 4.3l V6

This is a discussion on 1990 Chevy 1500 4.3l V6 within the Automotive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I am working on a 1990 Chevy truck with a 4.3l V6 TBI. I have rebuild the TBI and

Old 03-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi I am working on a 1990 Chevy truck with a 4.3l V6 TBI. I have rebuild the TBI and replaced the distributor cap and rotor, but that has not fixed the problem. It starts but dies after its started you can pump the gas pedal to keep it running but it will not idle up it dies when you give it any gas. While its running there is fuel spraying from the injectors down the venturies so it's getting fuel. The truck has been sitting for awhile and I have put fresh fuel in it. Any help would be great. Thanks Sam

Old 03-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Automotive Team

Hows the fuel pump?theres a difference between spraying fuel and spraying ENOUGH fuel,and, pumping the gas pedal on a TBI unit is useless theres no fuel bowl in that thing, is the map sensor hooked up?
are there any engine codes? If you don't have a scanner use a paper clip to read them jump A and B and turn the ign key to the on position and record the codes and post them on here. Also check the maf sensor too, either of those two will ruin your day.

4.3 V6 TBI GM......been there done that

Hampton Roads Virginia, I've been around the rock three times and this place was NOT on my top ten list of places to live
wolfen1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
Moderator Automotive Center

Hi 76dodge

Hook up a fuel pressure gage and see where the pressure is at. Fuel thats been rotting in the tank longer than 6 months without conditioner will gum up the fuel pump and fuel filter and chances are good you will have to replace both.

" What were dealing with is the battle between the future and the past, between the powers that were and the powers that have yet to be. " --- John Perry Barlow
octaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
Automotive Team

Fuel in the tank longer than six months can be used to thin Varnish out a little too. that is after ya strain the chunks out

Hampton Roads Virginia, I've been around the rock three times and this place was NOT on my top ten list of places to live
wolfen1086 is offline   Reply With Quote