Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1988 porsche 944 base electrical issue?? HELP!!

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Panther063 
#1 ·
OK SO I PICKED UP A VERY NICE 88 944 AND IT HAS A ELECTRICAL PROBLEM THERE IS 2 WIRES CONNECTED TO POS TERM ON BATT I HAVE TO DISCONNECT THOSE WIRES START THE CAR THEN RECONNECT THOSE WIRES SO I HAVE BRAKE LIGHTS. WITH THOSE WIRES DISCONNECTED I HAVE NO FUNCTION ON DASH NO TAIL LIGHTS, BRAKE LIGHTS, RADIO WHAT SO EVER PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT ON THIS ITS SUCH A HASSLE GETTING IN AND OUT ALSO IT HAS A FLASHING RED LIGHT NEXT TO HEADLAMP SWITCH IT FLASHES AND YOU CAN HEAR WHAT SOUNDS LIKE TURN SIGNAL CLICKING SOUND WHEN CONNECTED :frown:

#2 ·
Electrical problems are the hardest thing to trace on a car. If the seller can't help you, and I'm sure they or their friend jury rigged the wiring, it might pay to rewire properly, harness and all. Otherwise, leave plenty of time for 'hunting".
PS: Please don't post in caps. Its considered shouting.

#3 ·
you need a good starting point for wiring, so do some searches for a wiring schematic on the 944
At a guess, it sounds as if someone may have bypassed the neutral safety or clutch switch, if done wrong, both of those will prevent starting with everything connected.

#4 ·
Ok thank you will try and find a diagram of wiring. The switch was very dirty I checked that first the car is automatic I actually had to remove switch clean it with electronic cleaner and sand terminals because it didn't start every time before I cleaned it even with wire disconnected

#6 ·
Ok so I think it may be the factory alarm because when the wire is disconnected from battery car will start but when connected the red light in car flashes and you can here the relay for the horn clicking but horn is not connected due to previous owner any idea to bypass/disable factory alarm in a 1988 Porsche 944 celebration edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.