Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Automotive Support

1968 Pontiac FIrebird w/ Chevy 400 engine issues

This is a discussion on 1968 Pontiac FIrebird w/ Chevy 400 engine issues within the Automotive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a 1968 Pontiac Fire bird with a Chevy 400 in it. I am running an aggressive Comp Cam XTREME Energy™ Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft. The cam is the 11-250-3 cam. I have a Pertonix Billet Flamethrower Distributor and Flamethrower Coil. I have the timing set at 18 degree before TDC for initial as I was told that because of the cam that I shoud start around there. Now I have a 750 cfm Quickfuel carb on it and the Edelbrok RPM high rise intake. I have recently purchased this car and it came already equipped with these parts. It had been sitting for a while and ran rough and very rich so I pulled the distributer and tried a new HEI Billet. It would not run so I swapped it back. Set timing and now it still will barely run and only if I am feathering the throttle and then wont run long. Smells like over fueling. I checked spark on all cylinders and have spark. However here is the wierd part. I am only getting it firing on cylinder 1 and cylinder 4. The rest of the header pipes are ice cold. I no longer think it is timing related as I have set TDC about a bazillion times and checked firing order about the same amount. However I am open to any ideas. Could I be over fueling and fouled that many plugs? I am getting new MSD plugs today but dont want to mess them up as they are $15 each. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Tcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2017, 08:19 AM   #2
Administrator
TSF Manager

Have you confirmed the cam is in proper timing with crankshaft?? One tooth off will make a world of difference. On firing order, are you going by Chevy or Pontiac specs?? Last time I worked on a GM the dist rotations are different.....at least the old Olds engines were different rotation than a Chevy. My son found out the hard way..... Two days wasted trying to get his Olds running......was going by Chevy specs.

How are you determining the timing?? If the dist is one tooth off it will mess up your calculations.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

I put the timing to 18 degrees before TDC on the compression stroke. I even ran a scope inside the head to make sure that the piston was at the top and both valves were closed. Then I checked where the distributer was aligned and the rotor was pointing at the number 1 cylinder so I started my number 1 plug where the rotor was pointing and went clockwise with the firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. The only way it seems to even want to fire is if I advance the distributer alot and then pump the fuel to it. You can smell the fuel but the second I let off the gas the engine doesnt even seem to want to start. I did hook a timing light to it and the only time the light will flicker while turning over is when it is trying to start. Which puzzles me as shouldnt it flicker every time a spark is sent down the plug wire?? I did pull all the plug wires and test them with the same spark plug and they are getting spark. Atleast to that 1 spark plug. I havent tested all the spark plugs though. Im wondering if they have been fouled from running soo rich and new ones might make er fire up quickly..
Tcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Administrator
TSF Manager

Been a long time since I worked on anything with a coil. Are you getting power to the + side of the coil with the ignition on?? Sounds like the ign switch isn't supplying 12V in the run position. Have you tried to "hot wire" the coil and start it??

Sounds like everything is in order. Dist not out 180....piston all the way up and both valves closed. But.....where is the timing on the harmonic balancer pointing when that happens. Should be dead on 0.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #5
Moderator Automotive Center

Hi Tcrash

What you are describing is the fuel has gummed up the jetting it happens often on modified engines that have been sitting for a while. These engines run rich from the get-go so even though your timing is set correctly, the carburetor is either over-fueling or under-fueling the engine. To resolve the issue you need to re-set the carburetor float level, flush out the jetting for any deposits that may have accumulated. These carbs are as sensitive as a tooth ache, so any small adjustment to it will have impact on how the engine runs. Too high a float level will flood out the engine, too low and the engine is starved of fuel causing backfiring through the carburetor. the metering system has to be set perfectly to give it the right air/fuel ratio. Since you are running a 750 QF carb its best you get the specs and then proceed to make your adjustments accordingly.

NOTE: Adjusting fuel pressure with the engine running could cause a fire hazard.

post back your findings.

" What were dealing with is the battle between the future and the past, between the powers that were and the powers that have yet to be. " --- John Perry Barlow
octaneman is offline   Reply With Quote