Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Yet another XPS 710 system failure?

This is a discussion on Yet another XPS 710 system failure? within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My Dell XPS 710 just locked up and now it won't even turn on! When i press the power button,

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

My Dell XPS 710 just locked up and now it won't even turn on!
When i press the power button, the fans start up, then i hear a click from the power supply and it turns off. no lights, post beeps, nothing...
Tried unplugging and replugging everything, reseating the boards, let it cool down, disconected one of the HDs... no change. The power led on the mother board stays lit as long as its got current, which is normal whether the systems on or not. But it still won't run longer then a split second.
I really need this system up and running to get a job (3D graphics work) and can't afford a new workstation with the poor economy (too bad i spent sooooo much on this Dell! )

Bad PSU or Motherboard?
Any ideas?

Old 12-01-2010, 12:30 AM   #2
Tech Hardware Team

Sounds like you lost your power supply. Try another power supply in it and see if you can get it to POST.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
Registered Member

Not so easy to do. Dell uses a custom/expensive psu (used $150. and up, when you can find a trusted source!) the connectors to the mb are not industry standard.
I'll find the money if I'm sure thats really my problem, but i cant afford to replace it only to find the problem is elsewhere.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

The most likely problem is the PSU.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
Registered Member

The "151526-test-your-power-supply-multi-meter.html" mentions that the info doesn't apply to some Dell psu's.
Any ideas on how i can test this psu?
Old 12-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
Registered Member

I seem to be having the same problem with my XPS 710. There is a solid amber light and the machine will not start. I press the power button and there is a quick reaction but nothing else. The fans spin for a half a second then nothing.

Was it determined if your power supply was bad or the motherboard?
Old 12-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
Tech Hardware Team

Try unplugging the power supply, hit the power button to discharge it then plug it back in after about a minute or so.
As to testing the power supply, if it has a standard atx connector you could plug a power supply into the motherboard using a standard atx power supply without mounting the power supply.
You can also buy power supply testers or call a local computer shop that may test the power supply for free if they are able to plug into the power supply.
But it does sound like power supply.
Sometimes you can use a volt meter if the problem with the power supply is consistant.
Maybe this will help you. I googled it real fast.. http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-1056686.html
Old 12-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Older Dells ( prior to Pentium 4 ) used a proprietary powersupply with non standard pinout. Dells with Pentium 4 and newer use a standard ATX powersupply pinout
Old 12-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Um the XPS through the 700 series have proprietary supplies, these use a 24 pin and a 20 to power the motherboard.
See P1 and P2 > http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1060771

Test it with a volt meter.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
Registered Member

Thanks for your help. I guess I should have been more specific. The solid amber light is on the motherboard. When I press the power button, as mentioned earlier, it only has a quick reaction like it wants to turn on but doesn't do anything beyond that. I don't have the tools to test the power supply and not sure if that is the culprit or the mother board. I was able to purchase another year warranty from Dell on the machine for $160 which will take care of any or all of the problems. I didn't want to spend another $2000+ for a comparable machine by today's standards if I could avoid it.

I'll report my findings once I get it taken care of.