Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Xeon e3-1230 v2 with z77 chipset

This is a discussion on Xeon e3-1230 v2 with z77 chipset within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey Tsf - I'm thinking about doing a pretty substantial upgrade here, but first wanted to find out if this

Old 06-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Suprised

Hey Tsf -

I'm thinking about doing a pretty substantial upgrade here, but first wanted to find out if this is a compatible setup.

thinking along the lines of this motherboard - Newegg.com - ASUS Maximus V Gene LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

with this -
Newegg.com - Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core Server Processor BX80637E31230V2
if you want to see some specs.

Anyone have the knowings?

Old 06-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

That CPU isn't on the Maximus V GENE CPU Support List.
You do realize that CPU is a Server type?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
Registered Member

Doc- Stay away from Asus boards if you are going to use the 1230V2. As Asus has a server/WS motherboard they are trying to steer users into that one so really haven't been adding Xeon support to any consumer level boards.

If you can find an ASRock MB that suits your needs you will be safe. They upgraded the BIOS to support the V2 Xeons in May. Also remember that you really can't overclock a Xeon (you MAY get about a 5% pop by playing with the BCLK, but not worth the trouble), so if you can find an H77 board with similar things to what you need, save the money.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Yea I have been very skeptical of this. Thanks for the assurance. I was just stunned at how fast it was, at such a low cost, so I really considered going with it. I am aware it is a chip designed for server use, ya.
I guess Ill just save up for a nice i7 build, or maybe wait untill AMD launches their next gen 22nm chips. BOOYA

thanks tsf