Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

windows wont boot with new motherboard

This is a discussion on windows wont boot with new motherboard within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i have just installed a new motherboard/cpu/ram and i am just trying to start windows 7 from an existing hard

Old 12-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

i have just installed a new motherboard/cpu/ram and i am just trying to start windows 7 from an existing hard drive, with it already installed. i have heard that if windows 7 was pre installed on your computer then it will not work. is this true?

if needs be, i have a brand new copy of windows 7 that i can make a new start from

question 1. how do i make a new install of windows 7 if it wont boot in the first place

question 2. will i be able to keep my programs/files on this hard drive?

if anybody could help me i would be forever in gratitude

specs

mobo: biostar n68s3+
cpu: amd athlon ii x4 3.0ghz
os. windows 7

Old 12-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

Is the PC an OEM (HP-Dell-etc.) or custom build?
Replacing a Mobo/CPU will require a repair install a fresh install of the OS. I prefer a fresh install but you will lose all data.
Repair Install for 7: Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

yeah its an oem (dell) ive made a new partition on the HDD and installed windows 7 onto that. will i be able to restore files and programs fromt that?

thanks for the help
Old 12-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

you will be able to "copy" files from your existing hard drive partition which had win 7 on it but you will need to reinstall all your programs / settings / data they are not easily transfered over; such a task would require importing the old registry which brings a whole new set of troubles

I have accomplished what you are trying to do with some image programs such as Shadowprotect and accronis which allow you to make an image file of your existing win 7 OS then add your new motherboard drivers to the image and restore them to a new drive

I know this works as I do it quite frequently for customers

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ml#post2598903
linderman is offline   Reply With Quote