Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

where to find this?

755 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  kendallt 
#1 ·
intel(r) core(tm) i5-4200m cpu @ 2.50ghz

my laptop has one of these in it. am looking to replace it with an identical one. (the almighty and omniscient google, that which contains all the knowledge in the universe) has not enabled me to find this processor. was hoping someone here might be able to find one for me since i am having trouble locating it myself. don't care if it's used or new, it's likely better than the one i have.... which is burning my hand right now due to how hot it is. :sad:

#2 ·
Just because the processor is getting hot doesn't mean it's going bad or needs to be replaced. It could be that the cooling solution is not good enough or needs some help.

Has the thermal paste been replaced on this cooling system? Are the mounting screws well connected to the motherboard?

Did you clean out the fans and inside of any dust with a air compressor?

Since you posted a 4200m, I'm assuming this is a laptop? What is the make and model number of the laptop?

#3 · (Edited)
the laptop is 7 years old but I can't replace it at the moment. and i have dusted the fans. also I'm not sure what the thermal paste looks like. actually.... i understood very little of that. not sure where to find the model number either.

edit: when i opened up the back, i noticed there was this metal bar on top of/under/next to (choose your preference) the processor. was made of..... i think copper. and.... it was SUPER black. looked like a scorch mark. would you like a picture of this?

#7 ·
unneeded. already have that. system temperatures for both cores are at 90C when running full bore. and around 50C when doing nothing. have already checked this information. it did hit 100 at one point. the program i used to measure that started beeping at me and gave me a "your **** is going to melt" warning.

#8 ·
They normally don't coat copper, it's most effective for heat transfer when bare.

Are there voltage and overclock settings in BIOS? Should also have some energy settings to let it throttle down when maximum performance is not needed.
Typically unless you're going for the last 1/20th of a percent in performance, it's best to leave the voltage and O/C settings at auto, same with the energy saving/throttle settings.
Also ensure that all ports are open and clear at all times, and that the fins are clear on all the coolers. No offense intended, but I've had a few people bring overheating computers in with spotless freshly cleaned fans, with completely clogged coolers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.