Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What CPU should I upgrade too?

1K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  LukeWalker 
#1 ·
My mobo is a MSI FM2-A55M-E33 (MSI-7721) i have 8gb of Corsair Ram, and a AMD Radeon HD 7700 series. I have around £120 to spend and NEED a new Psu as mine is only a 230watt I'm looking to upgrade to a better one but I will upgrade with the CPU I buy. I was wondering would it be better to upgrade to a A10 or a Athlon x4 760k. Would it be better to have a APU or will it make no difference unless it's better than my GPU and set to the APU. Sorrŷ if this makes no sense, I'm not really a computer expert. I usually play games like DayZ and do design work on CS6 and Cinema4D. Thanks! At the moment I have a AMD A4. APU

#5 ·
Despite several online rumours to the contrary, the A10 does not crossfire with an HD 7750/7770. And even dualed with an HD 6670 (strongest compatible card) the performance would be more in line with that of an HD 7730.

I'ld go with the Athlon 760K. Nearly identical cpu performance as the fastest APU your board supports (A10-6800K) for £40 less.
For a power supply, something in the 450-550 watt range. The following prices out to just around £110 shipped.

AMD Athlon X4 760K Black Edition Quad Core Unlocked Processor - AD760KWOHLBOX - Scan.co.uk
XFX PRO550W P1-550S-XXB9 Power Supply (PSU) Core Edition - Scan.co.uk

#7 ·
Well, yeh. There is nothing that says you must use components of any specific brand. If you would prefer to use a Corsair, that would be your choice. Not a brand I usually recommend, but you could do far worse.

#11 ·
I've decided to get a Athlion X4 760k, I know this is compatible with my motherboard, from reviews i've heard that stock heatsinks are not that good. I was going to buy a Coolermaster Heatsink for around £30 so thats £60 + £30 so far which is 90 spent meaning i have around 30-40 quid left for a psu could you see if you can find a good 500w for around that price? or one that will work. This only one i can find is a "EVGA 500B 500W 80+ BRONZE PC Power Supply" for £36. The only thing im worried about this is putting in the new cpu! i've seen videos on youtube do it and i re-watched them and they make it look so easy! I have a pretty steady hand but im worried that i dont put it in the correct slot i know the triangles match up but it looks so hard to get all the pins in the correct holes! Does anyone know any tips and tricks for fitting a new cpu? Also will i need to re-install windows 8? sorry if these are all stupid questions i just have to experience with CPU's and Motherboards. I have a Zalman Z9 plus case so i think that will be big enough for a aftermarket Heatsink fan. Thanks for your help guys!

#12 ·
I wouldn't say the stock AMD cooler is "not that good". In fact it is durable and a decent performer in most applications. It can, however be somewhat noisy at higher rpms.

Power supply: If it were going into a basic internet box or a low end back up PC, I'ld say maybe. The 500B is EVGAs economy model power supply, nothing special. As a gamer, you want (need) a supply which is capable of outlasting you; ie in long uninterrupted gaming sessions.

Get your CPU + power supply first. Then compromise on the cooler if necessary.

Mounting new processor: Like you say, line up the triangles. It is a ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) type socket, so once the proc is aligned correctly, it will simply drop into place with zero force. If it requires any force whatsoever, it is misaligned.

Windows: Should not be necessary to reinstall the OS. If you were replacing the motherboard, then yes, but not with only a processor swap. On the first boot, Windows should detect the new hardware and update itself automatically.

Stupid questions? Nah. Only if you had not asked and then made a costly mistake.

#14 ·
Modular supplies do come with cables. Remember, though that you usually pay a substantial premium for a modular supply.

#16 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.