Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Water spilled on PC... What needs replacing?

852 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  JimE 
#1 ·
Hi,

Had an accident a few days ago whereby while I was away from my PC a pile of papers fell off a shelf due to the wind and knocked a glass of water over onto my PC while it was on. Upon returning, I hadn't noticed the incident and tried to start up my PC with no luck. For a couple of days I've been looking and looking to diagnose my problem and see exactly what needs replacing - if anything at all (fingers crossed).

So to get to the point, after drying out my PC for a couple of days (bear in mind when it happened I saw no water on any hardware when I opened the case up, except for on the carpet underneath), I tried loading it up again, my mouse and keyboard light up and then it turns off before the monitors can load. Upon more thorough analysis, I found the motherboard was responding with the following ASUS Q codes '55', '69' and '99'. All of which appear to be problematic and perhaps indicating multiple problems that appear to be gibberish to me.

So I contacted the supplier of my PC, and after performing some tests for them they were adamant that the problem was with both the motherboard (which they believed was corrupted) and the graphics card. I decided to try an alternative graphics card to see if this would make a difference, and this time it loaded up on the monitor but displayed a message: "The data in the EC or EC flash might be corrupted. Please contact ASUS Tech Support."

Upon doing some more digging, I found that I could possibly reset my BIOS by removing and putting back in the Motherboard's battery as a workaround to the above message displayed. I tried that, and it, unfortunately, made no difference. I then followed some more advice relating to switching around the sticks of RAM i.e. trying them one at a time in each slot, and nothing changed until I put them both into the RAM slots which were previously unoccupied. This returned an '0D' Q code from the Motherboard which appears to be similar to the '55'?

At this point, I'm a bit stumped. I think I know something is broken and needs replacing, but I need to be able to diagnose exactly what the problem is so that I can replace it without damaging other parts. The last thing I want to do is buy a new graphics card and find that multiple other problems exist that may immediately defect the new GPU. So based on what I've described, can anyone help? I'm happy to answer further questions as well as I can and try different things to diagnose the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and these are the specs of my PC:

https://i.gyazo.com/ddaf9f80ffd10be171b7da624d92607d.png

See less See more
#3 ·
I see what you mean, but I'm trying to figure out what exactly is faulty and needs replacing, and how I can test parts to see whether they are working or not. For example, is it just the motherboard that is the problem? How I can I test to see if this is the case? Or how can I test my GPU, RAM, PSU etc.

#4 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.