Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

VERY strange issue with P4C800-E Deluxe - Please Help!

This is a discussion on VERY strange issue with P4C800-E Deluxe - Please Help! within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have recently installed a 4 port promise raid card and had issues with IRQ and the onboard ethernet port

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 06:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

Evil

I have recently installed a 4 port promise raid card and had issues with IRQ and the onboard ethernet port (it shut down the ethernet) - the raid card was installed in PCI2. After much searching, we have moved the card up to PCI5 as the motherboard manual states that PCI slot 5 only shares resources with PCI slot 1, while the onboard ethernet and PCI2 share resources. There are no other cards besides agp in this box.
After moving the card, we reset the BIOS to defaults (ver 1017) and we disabled com2, com3, and lpt1 as these were not being used (maybe free up some resources). Also made sure to turn off promise onboard raid.
The problem is that after BIOS post and good detection of the add-in raid card (promise s150-sx4) we get a black screen for about 60 seconds before windows begins to boot. - I know this is not normal!
Once windows (xp pro sp1) is up and running, everything seems to be fine - no resource conflicts, no problems at all - the raid5 (3 160 gig wd satas +1 for hot swap) seems to work flawlessly along with everything else!!
I'm at my wit's end here and don't know what to do. We have been fighting with this box for a month - ANY help will be greatly appreciated - thank you!
spiccolli

specs:
Lian-Li PC-V2100
Thermaltake Silent PurePower 560W
Pentium 4/ 3.2C GHz 800MHz FSB HT (Northwood)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (bios 1017)
2X1GB Corsair TwinX PC3200
2X36GB Raptors in RAID0 on ICHR5
4X160GB WD SATAs 3 in RAID5 +1 hot swap on Promise S150-XS4
1X80GB WD SE PATA 8MB
12X LG DVD super multi drive
Mitsumi USB Digital Card Reader/Writer w/floppy
Matrox P650 dualhead
17" Hyundai LCD
21.3" Viewsonic LCD

Old 10-19-2004, 07:24 AM   #2
Registered Member

Question

anybody have a clue?

Old 10-19-2004, 03:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

Have you tried clearing the BIOS? Going to the extent of using the Clear CMOS jumper, removing the battery as well as unplugging?
It's worth trying if you haven't done that yet.