Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

USB legacy mode works bad with USB mouse

This is a discussion on USB legacy mode works bad with USB mouse within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have been trying to figure why the USB legacy mode in BIOS works incorrectly when I use programs like

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 03:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I have been trying to figure why the USB legacy mode in BIOS works incorrectly when I use programs like Norton Partition magic, Acronis or any program who runs without Operating System and have Graphic Interface.
In Windows & Linux it works fine.

In ANY of these programs, when I move the mouse horizontally, the cursor moves vertically, if I click, the cursor moves right a bit and if I move the mouse vertically the cursor remains still. Thus any program with GUI is unusable and I can't do well with the keyboard.

If I disable the USB legacy option, the mouse doesn't work at all.

Can this be a BIOS problem? should I update it? I couldn't try another mouse since I have not another one.
Thanks.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

HI...

Well, it could be a BIOS problem, but I have never seen it happen unless the mouse had issues. Have you tried the mouse in different ports while using LEGACY mode?

You will eventually have to try it with another mouse. In the mean time you can go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and see if they have a BIOS update for your board; you can check the fix logs on their website to see if this issue has been listed in the fixes.

Thanks!

Old 11-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

I would as IT said try another port especially if your using a front port then try rear that is directly attached to the motherboard.

Some of the programs you mentioned could load there own drivers so it would be a good idea to try another mouse maybe your mouse is not somehow supported

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 11-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

It may be the USB controller. I saw the same results with a crappy VIA-based USB card I bought. Worked fine in Linux and Windows but under anything that wasn't an operating system it was useless.

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:48 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT-Tech View Post
HI...

Well, it could be a BIOS problem, but I have never seen it happen unless the mouse had issues. Have you tried the mouse in different ports while using LEGACY mode?

You will eventually have to try it with another mouse. In the mean time you can go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and see if they have a BIOS update for your board; you can check the fix logs on their website to see if this issue has been listed in the fixes.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doby View Post
I would as IT said try another port especially if your using a front port then try rear that is directly attached to the motherboard.

Some of the programs you mentioned could load there own drivers so it would be a good idea to try another mouse maybe your mouse is not somehow supported

Hello Tech and Doby :)
Yes I tried every port on the rear (I don't have front ones, my tower chassis is very old )
I found in Gigabyte's web that there is a new BIOS for my motherboard

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...2775#anchor_os

Though it only adds support for new processors.
I don't have another mouse for now though I will try to borrow another one..
Many thanks :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebackhus View Post
It may be the USB controller. I saw the same results with a crappy VIA-based USB card I bought. Worked fine in Linux and Windows but under anything that wasn't an operating system it was useless.
Hello ebackhus :)
Yes, it works fine in Windows 7 and Ubuntu without problems, the mouse is identified as "HID compatible mouse" in Win7
My USB controller is integrated on the motherboard and (I supposed) it is an AMD-based because my chipset (AMD 740G NB & AMD SB700 SB) it is. Does it have a known bug related to legacy mode?
Many thanks

---------------------------
I have tried disabling the USB2.0 controller and disabling the USB keyboard legacy (my keyboard is a PS/2 one) but no luck...
Old 11-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

You may want to try a PS/2 mouse or even a usb to ps/2 adapter on your mouse.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:35 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench97 View Post
You may want to try a PS/2 mouse or even a usb to ps/2 adapter on your mouse.
My motherboard doesn't have a PS/2 for mouse.
Many thanks.